Bulk Purchase Broadsport 5 Speed?

Hi David,

Glad you got in some viewing of our cosmos’ ephemeral beauty(s).

What I may need help with, in the research is from Series 1 4.2 folks, regarding the speedo cable attachment- I received from the supplier/Tom Norton (have furthered this inquiry, tho, as to speedo gearing-to-different-differential-ratios, as well) “In terms of the speedo cable set I know on the series 1 4.2 E-Type the cable just comes straight from the box and goes straight to the speedo, I am unsure on what would need to happen in terms of angle drive but we don’t supply one with the box.” Am not quite sure what all to take from that as it looks as though there is a circlip style attachment on the Broadsport box and I know nothing about how the speedos attach on earlier (mine in a Ser2 1969) cars, so I will investigate until I am satisfied with the info to make a decision (things such as dimensions for mounting, etc…).

More, soon.

Huff

I didn’t know Paul was having problems getting new T5s. That was the very first upgrade I did to my series 3 back in 99, I ordered it the day after buying and driving the car back from Atlanta to Miami. Yes, the slush box was that awful

Paul just went thru the box and upgraded the tail housing to his newer design so it can be removed without dropping the engine, a big plus.

Regardless of the design, a 5 speed is the best upgrade one can get for the E

Have been nutty-busy, of late, so not much time for JL stuff, but here is an update on info(s):

On the speedo cable:

But as I read the spec sheet, the gearbox comes with a new speedo cable with the correct flange on it anyway. So- no angle drive needed at the box, it seems and a gear reducer can be put in line to calibrate the speedo, per response to my inquiry via Richfield Speedograph (am attaching their attachment, here):Recalibration sheet page 1 only.pdf (71.1 KB)

Many thanks for your enquiry.
From the information given you have a Ford type 9 speedometer connection on your gearbox.
We do an angle drive that fits this connection in different ratios ( our RGB1030 series.)
Once you have your gearbox fitted if you could fill in our re-calibration Form ( copy attached ) and
Return this to us , we can work out the ratio you require, which hopefully will mean that you do not
Need your speedometer to be re-calibrated at a later date.
I hope this helps you but if you have any further questions I will try and help you.

Regards
Tim

Latest (I have furthered the inquiry,since, yet no response, yet) from Guy Broad, purveyor of the Broadsport box (good news for the V12 faction):

Our gearboxes use the 5 speed clutch plate as fitted to Jaguars aprox 85 -87 spec , still easily available from AP Lokheed .
But I doubt you can wear one out in 75000 miles of normal driving .
We give details of fitting and the gearbox is 108mm longer than any standard [ not 2+2 cars ] gearboxes . all 3.8 or 4.2 cars roadster or FHC.
We do have new prop shafts in stock or you can have your old ones reduced . a new prop is about £ 250.00 GBP in stock.
We do also supply for the V12 cars as the case is already machined for the 2 side studs that take the clutch slave cylinder as on all V12 E ‘s .
We supply a rear mount bracket that picks up the OE rear pin bolt on all manual V12E . the gear stick comes in the OE place on all cars , so mods to tunnel top or interior trim.
It’s all quite an easy job on all the cars and any half descent mechanic will have no issues as to fitting .
Our speedo cable does not use an angle drive , it is held direct into the box with a circlip. It goes under the floor and not at the side like old OE gearboxes from Jag. Easily accessible from under the car at any time.
There are no variations on speedo drive gears as there would be way too many possibilities for axle ratios etc. the factory fitted [ from XK to E type ] 3.64 ,3.77,3.07,3.31,4.09,3.54 as variations of standard fittings !
So, basically you would need to re-calibrate the speedo when all installed .
I hope this answers most of what you need to know

Soooo…it looks as though the LWB cars don’t need the frame cutting/welding (the “chamfer”) but I still have a lot of questions (most posed, already and awaiting return response).

Bottom line is, I am still going for it, as of now, it is just a matter of time, money and info to be relayed, methinks.

More later, as Harvey and Irma are making me too busy.

Huff

Is there any update on this buy?
Mark

Not to take this too far off topic…anyone see the new 5 speed offering from JD Classics? I imagine it has a JD Classics premium attached to it, but given their involvement in motorsports and claims that their transmission is good for 400 HP, it looks like an interesting offering.

I had some more questions after the last more-informative-but-not-quite-all-my-questions-answered e-mail received from Guy Broad, of Broadsport, and I sent them off, with no reply of late, so I re-sent, cc’ing one of his staff, a few days ago. I would call but my VOIP and cell phones can’t dial to the UK. What I have been doing, while I wait, is more research and, according to a lot of the UK forum stuff I have found, these were used in a lot of E-Types. Even found an interior pic of an early OTS with the box installed, all interior trimmed out nicely, like it came from the factory, for sale, touting the use of this box as a selling point. Good thing was, that the photo captured an image of the gear selector statically set into 1st gear and it did look a little tight against the dash panel but no more so than the stock 64 OTS 4 speed one I drove that would get the knuckles near but not actually run them into the radio. The shifter knob was not a “ball” type, tho, and was, what looked to be, an aluminum narrow “cone” with the base of the cone at the top, if I recall. I looked for that pic, again, but did not find in time for this forum entry. Other things I asked about were things like what specifically was the speedo gearing (that seems to be an easy fix by re-calibrating the speedo or installing a reducer in live via Richfield Speedigraph), etc…

I may try to find a phone one pre-dawn morn that can I can call them with.

Thanks,

Huff

Put a few dollars on “credit” with Skype and you’re good to go. I’ve used it a few times to talk to some helpful Jag folks in the motherland. With a purchase of this size and being that it’s a bulk purchase, it may be wise to talk directly to them in order to get a sense of their helpful attitude? FWIW

https://secure.skype.com/en/calling-rates?expo365=empty
.http://www.dictionary.com/browse/motherland

I have used Skype for years to call Denmark and other countries from the US. About $0.025/min.
There’s a smart phone app that makes life easy.

Cheers … Ole

Hi Bill,
I checked with JD Classic after seeing your post and inquired about their 5 Speed. Well, it turned out to be almost $10,000 USD. That included the gearbox, fitting kit (driveshaft, mounts etc.) and shipping to Detroit.

Cheers,
Bob S

Update- I did a bit of an “end run” around the lack of communique from Broad and spoke with SNG Barratt regarding their MT75 5 speed kit ($5,440) is seemingly virtually identical to the Broadsport box and the only difference I can see as to what is offered (all the same parts, in the kit- clutch disc, speedo cable, rear mount, reverse light hookup, and some sundries) is that the speedo gearing can be made to fit your speedo for the Barratt version of the box (part # BSGB3). If the Broadsport box only comes with one speedo gearing and set of ratios- 1st 3.31:1, 2nd 2.08:1, 3rd 1.36:1, 4th 1:1 and 5th .0763:1, that is fine by me, for my 3:31 diff, but you may want to scrutinize in light of whatever your diff is as the Broadsport 1st gearing might be a bit tall and if you have a 3:54 (or taller) you may want to opt for a different manufacturer/box (much more $). As well, there is no mention of any other installation mods for the Barratt-offered box, EXCEPT modifying (or buying to the tune of around $386) the propshaft.

I think that this is good news, at least for me, and fills in most of the gaps of info I have been seeking save for the speedo gearing which, it seems can be handled by an in-line reducer/multiplyer. As Broad’s boxes are used in multiple XK’s successfully (120, 140, 150, etc…I have no idea of what the typical diff ratio is in these cars) it seems to me that gearing is not that much of an issue unless you are a racer or a stickler for gearing. Me? I just want a manual trans and will let the “torquey” 6 to much of the work and adjust tire size and throttle input, accordingly.

Looks like you may need to buy your own shifter knob, though, with the Broad kit (the Barrat box comes with the aluminum narrow “cone”).

As of now, I am still going for this, to save a chunk of money. Let me know if you want to be of the (at least) 2 other buyers and that will, basically, incur free shipping to you door, from England, with the reduction via a bulk-purchase .

No huge rush, but the pound seems to be climbing, against the USD- is now around $1.33

I still plan on calling Broad, from my wife’s phone, to see if I can confirm some of the infos.

Huff
69 2+2

Have you considered the MT75 5-speed available from Welsh? I think it’s the same box, same ratios, etc.

Hi Tom,

That box is almost $2,000 more, for nearly the same thing, from what I can tell.

Thanks,

Huff
69 2+2

Welsh says they get the box from Guy Broad and they’ll be getting some in in a month or so - $5,000.
2,950 GBP at 1.33 is $3,924 + 325 shipping is $4,250 so the gap is closing.

Of course there’s the box from The Driven Man at $5,395, and I think there’s more variety in ratios, but I’ve never been able to find much documented experience with that solution.

Huff, I am still interested. I will take a SWB one.

Mark Tangney

We just need the 3rd buyer to step up and I may very well start the purchase process.

Thanks,

Huff

Here’s the ratios for the various gearboxes Jaguar offered 1st through 3rd

Mossbox 3.377 1.86 1.383

EJ box 2.68 1.74 1.27 (1st all synco - considered a close ratio box)

EJS (2+2) 3.04 1.97 1.33

EE, KE, KJS 2.93 1.905 1.389

On a different page under Ser II cars Clausager lists ratios for the KE and KJS (2+2) as 3.38 1.86 1.28

So the Broadspeed box ratios are within what Jaguar provided at times, other than it has an unusually high 2nd gear.

Would the receiving end would necessarily need to by “Skype capable”? I really have no clue how this works but I did sign up for the ability to Skype, just need to throw in a few bucks into an account, I guess. I don’t have a smart phone but can do it thru my computer, it seems. I may very well just end up calling from my wife’s (smart, just like everything she does) phone.

Thanks,

Huff

No. You simply open the application on your computer, sign on using your credentials and dial the land line (business) number of who you want to talk to. You are talking through your computer and they (presumably) are talking on their phone.

It has worked very well for me and it really is simple. Good luck!

I may very well give it a whirl if I can’t get up early enough to use my wife’s phone before she goes to work. I have plugged in an old microphone that I have been toting since the late 70’s to my tower which seems to work.

Thanks,

Huff

Just found this thread and have been looking at picking up a 5 speed. How long would it take from time of order to actually receiving them? We were looking at the JT5 but they are 3-4 months out due to difficulty of getting parts. We are currently going to do some mechanical work on our 64 Series 1 before doing body work and paint. Thought it would be good time to do 5 speed conversion.