Bulk Purchase Broadsport 5 Speed?

Good question on receipt of the goods. I just don’t know, but am hoping to lock down more info/specs, very soon.

My first choice would have been Paul C’s box but he emailed just some weeks ago and relayed that he was not producing the JT5 indefinitely, basically, due to parts accrual problems- when did you get the “3-4 months out” info?

Thanks,

Huff
69 2+2

End of last week. I must have spoken to him. He seemed exasperated. The 3-4 month was best case scenario. He said he would not even take a name for a wait list because of the parts issue.

Just a heads up to people who maybe wondering.
I have tried to get a 5speed from Paul C since march of 2015.
the problem has always been getting parts needed to build them.
His trans. is I think the best built one out there. It is the one I want.
But it looks like it’s not going to happen. NO KNOCK ON PAUL.

Is it possible to add syncro to our existing transmission for our 64 S1? The friend who sold us the car had mentioned something but had never heard of that before.

Yes: change it to a later synchro box…

The cost of reengineering the guts of a Moss box would choke a billionaire!

Huff

Count me in on the bulk purchase for SNG Barrett’s 5-speed tranny. I spoke with them (Frank) today (19OCT17) and the best deal was free shipping to NH from UK – Frank did not seem aware of the bulk purchase offer at all.

I also asked if they offered a military discount and the answer was no (info for any of the former/retired military on the list).

Frank was surprised when I mentioned the bulk purchase offered free shipping to my door. His response was “that’s a very good deal”.

So - let me know when and to whom I send the $$$. ( craigbalzer14735@gmail.com )

Craig with a 1972 Series III OTS 4-speed – soon to be 5-speed

PS – today’s exchange rate is $1 = £1.32

Hi Craig,

Frank at SNG wouldn’t know about this purchase as it is a different box and a different company- The box for the bulk buy deal would be via Guy Broad, for the Broadsport box: http://www.guybroad.co.uk/lastest_xk_selection/product4.html

It is very similar to the SNG box, but not the same.

The Broad box retails for 2,950 GBP but if we get (3) we can get the unit price down to 2,650, which is a chunk of money and would probably cover the shipping.

There are differences in the box from the SNG version, such as the speedo cable/drive, gearing and other such that you may want to research by reading carefully through the thread posts and do some on-line research, as well. It will fit the V-12, though and is optimal, ease of installation-wise, for the longer wheelbase cars, for the rear mount. It uses the stock bellhousing but the driveshaft may need to be shortened (length dependent on wheelbase & model). Each purchaser would be a separate transaction, direct to Broad.

Let me know your thoughts after you have digested some of the finer points of this box vs others- it would be much less expensive, in some ways, depending on what you seek, what you can do on your own, and what you are willing to live with.

Thanks,

Huff
69 2+2

From what I have, the Welsh, SNG and Broadsport MT75 boxes are identical. The only difference in the kits is that both SNG and Welsh include speedo recalibration. From their install instructions, they are either recalibrating the actual gauge, or they are providing an inline speedo cable gearbox to make the ratio conversion. It is very unlikely that they are making special gears for inside the gearbox. To change the speedo drive output on the MT75 requires changing both the easily removable angle drive and the not easily removable drive gear on the output shaft. That would entail taking of the tail housing of the MT75. There are only three different drive gears made, and about 7 or 8 angle drives gears made. The likelihood that one of these gear combinations would be correct for your car is slim, you might get close.
Also, from what i understand, the speedo gauges in the car have different calibrations, (marked omniscience’s the gauge face) depending on the original rear axle ratio of the car as delivered.

Mark

I love autocorrect.

(marked on the gauge face)

isn’t this for the xk cars? Does it fit an E type? Fitment issues in an E tpe? I’m interested.

It has been very successful in the XK cars, from what I have read, but has also been used to good end in E-Types, as well. I would do some internet research. In my attempt to glean info I found some UK forum material that pointed to this box being a good upgrade for the E.

Share your thots on the findings, if you would.

Thanks,
Huff
69 2+2

Greeeeat: I know where Ill be spending some (good-quality, long-looked-forward-to) time!

:grimacing:

Update:

Latest from Guy Broad about the Broadsport, in response to my most-recent inquiry:

Dear Oliver ,
My apologies I believed all questions had been answered.
I will try my best to cover the usual questions we get concerning any conversions.
The shift lever is in the exact same position as on ALL E types. It also leans back as per original look. No one gets knuckles into radios etc.
The speedo has to be recalibrated as there are way too many possibilities to cover all the various ratios of axles etc on all jaguars.
For 2+2 E types and V12 cars there is no alteration to any cross members , we use a rear mount bracket that picks up the original pin mount as factory .
For short wheel base E types [ roadster FHC cars ] there is a new rear mount bracket supplied and a small cut out must be made in the cross member to avoid the drive flange touching under load.
This cut-out is clearly shown on the info sheet and it is not critical to the 32nd of an inch . the more clearance the better , obviously .
We supply clutch drive plate and speedo cable , plus shift lever and any mount brackets and mounts.
The drive shaft [ prop shaft in the UK ] is available new from us or you can easily get your drive shaft altered to suit . [ for roadster FHC cars this is 108mm shorter ] sorry I don’t know exact on 2+2 but this would be a slightly longer drive shaft than the original one .
Other than this it’s bolt it in and drive away. The interior trim is not altered so all original trim is left undamaged .
We are now in our 13th year of supply and we average 100 -120 per year [ about 50% are for E types ] so we have a pretty good track record of them out there being well used.
The pilot bush in the crank stays the same also so no funny size bushings to buy or make . I have built around 6 or 7 e types in our shop with these boxes and they work very well . [ we are 99% XK cars day to day here ]
I hope this covers all the remaining answers,

Regards

Guy Broad

What I did put to him, in a nutshell, in response to his response is Okay- which XK diff ration is the box setup for?!

I will forward his response to my response to his response to my inquiry…

Currently the GPB is at $1.31 to our buck, which is pretty good, from what I can tell.

More as it unfolds,

Olly

Update:

Mark T recently got this info from Broad, of Broadsport (I am still in on the purchase, though):

I just checked with Guy Broad about the 5 speed. The 3 gearbox price has gone up to 2700 Pounds and the next shipment of gearboxes is six weeks out.

Mark Tangney

About the only outstanding bit of info and I can live without it, as I still think it is a good deal, and I will just count turns on the prop shaft flange and see what the cable insert does, counting revolutions to get an idea of multiplier/reducer speedo gearing. 6 weeks doesn’t bother me, but it might others.

Thanks,

Huff
69 2+2

Which would cost $3,587.50 in CONUS.

Craig

Still a deal!!! :yum::+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

No argument. I’m in.

Look forward to us driving your Wee-12 onna Leak!!

You beatcha Red Rider

1 Like

We’d better plan on a shakedown cruise!