Bullet proof paint on these cars

…and crappy paint strippers.

Tried 3 different strippers… there’s never a drum of methylene chloride around when you need one.

1 Like

I tried using the new “friendly” stuff to strip the bonnet of the 120. Useless. After five hours it barely softened the first molecular layer. I came upon a dusty NOS gallon of aircraft stripper at the local Napa while looking for final wash. $43. Cheap. Nasty stuff, but it works in minutes. NLA of course. Hopefully will last me a few years for small parts.

Interesting admonition on back of the can, though …

1 Like

Aircraft paint stripper, not for use on aircraft…

Got it.

1 Like

Have you tried applying the stripper and then laying cling wrap film over it to keep the solvents in?

I did. the wrap dissolved pretty quickly. The stripper made it quite easy to remove the cling wrap though. The paint peeked over the top of it’s newspaper and smiled at this foolishness.

So you found that too. I’ve been using Klean-Strip Premium on Mark V parts. It eventually gets off the color coat, usually in 2 applications, with a lot of ScotchBrite pad and elbow work. I use a tool made for cleaning bath tubs. Then the brown primer seems to take 3 more applications of the stuff, with more ScotchBrite rubbing. I rinse with mineral spirits, then water. I wonder what that brown primer is? Sure is tough stuff.

1 Like

I’m thinking, a few more decades in the sun…

1 Like

I bought a gallon (4 quart cans) of Aircraft Stripper (pre-ban) from a fellow on Ebay. Not good. The can says it’s got Methylene Chloride in it… It’s gone now. I’m not too surprised as I was warned this stuff leaves the can as soon as it’s capped, just too many years old and the seal dried out.

The cans are about 4/5ths full. So, if I an get some MC and mix it in… Ugh.

I find it amusing that all cans of “Aircraft Stripper” clearly state on the can “Do not use on aircraft”.

What are you suppose to do? Stand in front of the aircraft, holding up the can and threatening to “use it”? Will the aircraft paint suddenly fall off? Is the a California Can?

1 Like

I used to fly small planes with Rotax engines. In the beginning of the POH (handbook) it clearly tells you these engines are not certified for aircraft use. Apparently this is common in the Light Sport class.

I was told that aircraft are stripped using Halon gas. No idea if that’s true.