Bundle of unconnected wires in trunk

Looking into fuel pumping issues on the '76 coupe. The pumps are in-tank mounted now, not sure if that was the original set-up, the manual just quotes external vs. submerged as early vs. late series 2. Just wondering why I see a bunch - maybe 10 wires with connectors in the trunk near the rear once I remove the tire/small cardboard bulkhead. Perhaps the car was originally wired for external pump(s) or maybe the wiring harness continued to provide these wires as original even though production had switched to internal pumps.
Thanks anyone.

This can be, or it was for trailer lights or anything really. Wouldn’t be unusual!

Brad,
Take some close up pictures showing the colors of the wires and post them. Perhaps someone will recognize what those wires are supposed to go to.

Paul

I just went thru a “fix up the bodgy PO wiring” situation

in the end, the only way was to get my notebook out, write down all the relevant wire colors

download the correct manuals and FSM, write down the relevant harness, splice, wire colors etc

compare & chart out how they should be, it was all very puzzling till I did that

Thanks for the input everyone. 7 wires in that bundle total, one of which was live from 1st key position onwards. Couldn’t have been to operate fuel pumps or change-over valve just not enough live conductors. Unless key fuses were removed. But they are oem wires, with lucar insulators, so I shrinktube insulated the live one and closed everything back up. At least I know I have power for a future James Bond
liscence plate rotator for the future.

Sounds that an aftermarket trailer addition, Brad - as David implies…

You could check by voltage measurements while operating lights, brakes and direction indicators. Insulated and otherwise left ‘as is’ is likely fair enough anyway…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

My thinking was, as we know, the OE trailer connector behind one of the rear lamps of the SIII that has an 7-way connector iirc.

Motorized radio antenna?