Burman PS steering effort

Hi

I have just rebuilt my Burman PS box and refitted it to the car (MK2, 3.4 Auto, 1967).
I am touching wood as I say, no leaks so far!

I have had the tracking and toe in adjusted (new adjustable track rods), but see a difference in steering effort - left and right. It is not terrible, and is more evident at slow speeds (parking) rather than while driving - but that would be expected.

Looking in the manual - there is a reference to “centering” the steering using a pin, but this seems to apply to the Adwest box. I cannot see anything for the Burman box. I am pretty sure that I have the steering arm back on the shaft in the right place as it was punch marked before coming off.

Any ideas of what I might have missed?
Regards
David

Wild guess did you adjust the pressure on the plate correctly it has to be shimmed and then the adjuster set.

I had mine rebuilt by Benchworks in Phoenix Arizona as I tried myself and couldn’t get it right.

Thank you so much for your reply to my question. I did play around with the shims and am sure i set it up correctly. But the moment the pump gets activated it binds by pressing the shaft into the top cover. I even tried increasing the spring pressure by adding a washer at the spring top but it made no difference. I am not sure what in the box is suppose to regulate the distribution of fluid between the bottom and the top? More pressure goes to the bottom for some reason.

Gary
I did try and follow the shimming instructions, though mine was a later type and had different adjustment type to the one in the manual. There was not excessive play and was working fine when I took it off, just leaked oil like crazy.
I did not see any marks of contact, maybe I need to take it off and have another look now it has done a few miles?
regards
David

1 Like

Hi All

Just a quick update… After several burns from the exhaust bleeding the system to no avail, I think I have solved the problem…!

When I put the idler arm on (above), I always worried that it lined up on one side and not the other. I pulled it off and moved it 1 spline - the top mark is now aligned, the bottom one is a bit off, but I have equal steering effort on both sides.

Now all I need to do is replace the brand new front subframe mountings which have developed cracks in less than 50 miles of test driving!

Regards
David