Burnt Marelli ingnition module

Wow - love the ease of readability of that guide … Is there one available for viewing for the 92 5.3 MY available online someplace? :confused:

I thought the 6.0s went to just one coil? :confused:

Thanks. When you buy milsurp at auction its a crapshoot but think I got a good one. Trace is still very bright at less than 25%. Need to figure out how to read secondary voltage. Probably have to find or rig up some kind of inductive probe.

All Marellis have two coils, as they are actually two separate 6-cylinder ignition systems.

Here it is. it looks a bit different though. i think Jag changed the way they wrote manuals and stuff in 93 or 94 to the “nicer” style. http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Electrical/Elect-Tech%20All2/92%20XJS%20electrical.pdf

I have that one on my phone with The Book, rather the 94 MY

Thanks, William. :smile:

1 Like

Dug up some info for wire repair in a search. Saw pros and cons with different philosophies and not a clear consensus.

What about using liquid tape and/or heat shrink to repair bare wire that was still shiny? Using bullet connectors rather than using solder joints to splice in new wire sections for fear of solder joints cracking.

That will work just fine. remember to use sxl or gxl wire. its rated for higher temperatures and wont crack apart like the oem stuff.

Hadn’t even thought about higher temp wiring. Thanks William.

No worries. It took me a while to realize this too, after multiple jobs failing on other cars with crappy auto parts store wires.

I guess this same process would apply to repairing my cracking coil wiring? :confused:

Yup you can trace the wire back to a section that is in good condition and crimp a terminal on there. I would also use marine grade spade connectors as they have heat shrink that has a heat activated epoxy that makes them highly water resistant.

example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DOTB0XE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01DOTB0XE&pd_rd_w=4k5HL&pf_rd_p=a64be657-55f3-4b6a-91aa-17a31a8febb4&pd_rd_wg=cN9go&pf_rd_r=CFBQX3PQTKQNPJBYY6M0&pd_rd_r=18105b15-8b68-4ba6-83c1-ab4171af60d7&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMk9PUEswS01GSVJEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDQ2OTk0M1FaUkJQUTJBWTNYWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjIwMDk3MUxMWDZVNDdGVUNSOSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Standard wire used in automotive applications is rated for 70degC. Using it in the vee of an engine with 88degC thermostats is not a formula for longevity.

Wow. That’s not even close. I was eyeballing the Harbor freight spool in my garage. Thanks guys

As my tech bud would say (and you can tell he’s not a Jag man), “how in the world could a major car manufacturer like Jaguar make a blunder like that, and esp. not even correct it in subsequent MYs?”. I could swear sometimes Jag did gaffes like that on purpose just to create “repair situations” and increase $$ revenue. :roll_eyes:

All they really have to do is make the wiring last until the warranty expires. The crappy wiring on a V12 Jag is far less likely to cause the car to burn to the ground than a Marelli ignition.

Was a factory trained line tech for a Honda and Suzuki dealership in the eighties. Honda had their stuff together. It was insane the problems cropping up after 15-18 months on a bike with a 12 month warranty.
Apparently Suzuki did not have statistical analysis budget Honda did and simply engineered them more robustly.

Got the connectors on order. Thanks for the tip.
Got a couple other things too.

Nice! post some picture if you want when ur done!

Will do. I couldn’t believe the deal on the wire. He had $20 with free shipping or best offer. Saw he had 15% discount for $100 or more. Offered $18 and it was accepted. Says they have 8 more rolls left. Everyone else was about $30 with shipping.

1 Like