Buying an early XJ40 (1988)

Well, I have searched through past messages, here, elsewhere, etc.
And as we all know, reviews by non Jaguar nuts (enthusiasts) as ourselves cannot be trusted.
I’ve never had a problem with my cars ans I know them, know what to look for, etc. and never trust outside opinions or reviews therefore.

That said, would anyone add anything to concept that if the car has been well maintained, everything checks out visually, and in feel, sound, etc…that these early cars (now survivors) have either resolved past issues and/or were the well made examples?

That is, other than door locks and minor electrical quirks, should there be any reason to avoid these cars?

I hate to ask, as I believe me, I know how it is as a Jaguar enthusiast, but also, how we are all partial to what we own…which is by no means a bad thing.

My point I suppose is, should I avoid due to lack of improvements regarding possible head gasket issues in regard to engineering flaws, etc.?

I have read of early ABS flaws? how are they remedied? Serious? Expensive for DIY enthusiast?

Of course the self leveling suspension is an apparent serious issue.
Should it not have been replaced with standard springs, should I walk away?

Electric dash a walk away item?

I’ve read around as best I can. Funny, after all these years with Jaguars I never considered the XJ40…feels as if I suddenly discovered a new model!

Any thoughts or points to other informative sources greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Its hard to comment on this without knowing specifics about a particular car you are looking at, but I would say that most of the big issues these cars can have will have probably been sorted out by this point. If its an example that has been driven regularly and isn’t rusted, it should treat you well. Like all high end cars, it will still require maintenance and occasional replacement of some items, but it should be a good car.

Thanks…genuinely appreciate.

I know it’s a common (banal) question, just needed a bit of clarity.

Completely understand.
Sounds good, thx.

Car looks good. Solid stance, feel, right sounds…all i need to know.

Would refer 4.0, but 3.6 seems to be ok.
Need to reserach a bit more.
Best.

If the rear suspension gives up you simply need to source a pair of shocks and springs, blank off the port under the bonnet (sorry hood) and swap them out.
I can remove, de spring replace shock reassemble and have the car back on the deck in 60 mins for one side. Nothin wrong with the 3.6, I had the 2.9 and ran that up to just under 300k, that was a bit underpowered but could still hold its own under normal circumstances.

1 Like

Thank you Robin.
While aware of the issue with the RLS, I hadn’t looked up how it is replaced.
Thanks.
Appreciate the thoughts and understand. Have a good feel for what you guys are saying.
It does seem however that they are more prone to head gasket issues.

The one I was looking at I noted had an oil leak coming from front left of sump draining down (facing car), as seen from below.
I believe this may be coming from the distributor area of head gasket as noted elsewhere unfortunately…need to verify.

Reading up on the XJ40, a model I never before considered, it is again funny how designs can age well when they were originally or considered earlier so unpopular…

The 1988 Jaguar really is the last true Jaguar. We are arriving at a time where the history and marque needs to be evaluated due to its classic status and history as all cars today are so homogenized and regulations have made all the same, not to mention once again jaguar is having serious financial troubles.

I have read elsewhere I believe here within the forum, a comment referencing how indeed the XJ40 was the last true Jaguar and the first modern design direction for the range.

And how Ford told them to go retro with the x300, an dhow this ethos of Ford culminated in the S Type and XK8…

Not until now with the new XJ series have the designers once again had control of Jaguar design direction.

however, for me, it is too little too late, and due to regulations and the cross pollination within companies and the ways of the world (globalization) all cars are the same and technology will, in the end, force all to become the same…

…a sort of singularity.
…as the market and technology must drive it in that direction.

If all are required to have this mechanical or physical feature due to regulation or an evolution in technology (as if all luxury models have back up sensors as example, or GPS, or wherever else technology leads us) other models cannot be without…so all will become the same in time.

As designers complain, specifically Ian Callum comes to mind, only the rear end and interior are open to designers creativity nowadays.

But I digress…

Kind regards