Buying up all the XK-8's

How about a group of us buying up all the cheap XK8’s and socking them away until they become collectors? They are beautiful cars and should not suffer the indignity of low prices. Just testing the waters to see if there is any interest.

I won’t be alive by then😁

What Larry said!

If we use the same “arc” as the E Type… it’ll be 2034 till an XK8 is worth anything.

Ill be 74. No.

1 Like

You youngster you!

1 Like

Well, just a thought………a real shame to see them disappear, one by one to the crusher.

The ones that have had the timing gear done, the cooling system done, the transmission done and are non-Nikasil or very late Nikasil will be safe. The ones that still require those jobs are on borrowed time…

I do believe they are at the bottom of their depreciation curve. The issue may be electronics. Someone in the future could have a great business supplying rebuilt electronics for these cars.

2 Likes

Well, regardless of what happens, it was the thought that counts, and I like the cars and have a 2001 example now. A drophead, but I would like to pick up a coupe too, and the prices are at the bottom right now. I would think the wise choice would be to buy the newest one with the lowest miles. Any thoughts?

Well, THAT’LL make you be thought of, as a wild man…:wink:

Low mileage can hide problems. Cars are built to be driven and lack of use can produce internal corrosion and degradation of fluids and hoses. A high mileage car that has been highway driven can be in better shape than a garage queen. Most of my cars are driven + 3 or 400k kilometers (180k to 250k miles) before trade.

1 Like

Cars going to the crusher helps all of us that buy what we like and that we hope to be classics or desired later.
I enjoy buying a vehicle that has been taken care of, is at the bottom of its depreciation curve, needs a bit of work, and is priced right. Take that car drive it for a year or two and do what it needs and sell it to another appreciative person that wants a car that is sorted out. If I am any good at what I do I can do okay. I sometimes drive up to and over 100 miles a day for my business. I prefer driving a Jag as apposed to my van, when I can.

1 Like

Wanna 2000TC Rover?

:joy:

1 Like

Where are you located ?

What year is it and what condition?

There was was someone in Arizona several years back that had 5 xkr’s that he said he purchased for investments for his kids. I believe he sold one of them for 9,000 and a couple days later a dealer was flipping it for 15k :triumph:. This was in 2015 I think. Just something I thought about regarding his topic

1 Like

storage is the problem. But I remember in 1984 I could have bought a really nice XKE roadster for $11,000, and our XK8/XKRs are readily available, some in mint condition.

1 Like

In 1984 the djia was approx at 1200. In 2020 it is approx at 28000. If you had put the 11000 in the stock market, instead of spending it on a car that requires on going cost to store and maintain, your initial investment would now be worth in the range of 250,000 dollars assuming you did not even reinvest the dividends. You would not be anywhere near breaking even on the car. Your chances of doing anywhere near that with an xk8 are minuscule assuming that in 40 years a gasoline powered car might not even be allowed on the road and an xk8 is unlikely to ever achieve the collectability of an E-type.

1 Like

What a spoilsport! A great idea, dashed on the rocks. But, probably true…No matter. buy a few up for parts, just in case. People still buy cars on looks, and this one is a looker.

**[quote=“Geoff, post:17, topic:393266, full:true”]
In 1984 the djia was approx at 1200. In 2020 it is approx at 28000. If you had put the 11000 in the stock market, instead of spending it on a car that requires on going cost to store and maintain, your initial investment would now be worth in the range of 250,000 dollars assuming you did not even reinvest the dividends. You would not be anywhere near breaking even on the car. Your chances of doing anywhere near that with an xk8 are minuscule assuming that in 40 years a gasoline powered car might not even be allowed on the road and an xk8 is unlikely to ever achieve the collectability of an E-type.
[/quote]

My sincere apologies. Never let logic get in the way of a magnificent plan!! They are a nice looking car but probably much too complex to even keep running once the supply of electronics run out. At least for an e type you can troll the massey ferguson sites for parts😀.

2 Likes

Sorry… missed this!

1967… Colorado… a true ‘scruffy driver.’

One that Id take across the country.