BW66 kickdown cable

I’m wondering why my kickdown cable doesn’t return to it’s normal position when the throttle is released? I know BW transmissions don’t do well with badly adjusted kickdown cables. 1974 Series 2 if that matters.

Maybe the return spring broke, the cable is unhinged or there is too much friction. You can see how it’s hinged. Does the thing work, doesn’t sound like it?

If it’s abw65/66 they work the same way but have minor differences, none of them important here. You can pull on the cable and check for feedback from the cam profile to check whether it is still attached.

Cheers, David

how does it attach inside the trans? Is this a drop the pan and valve body issue? Not that I’m put off by that, just want to be prepared when I need to have this operational again.

If it is unhinged: not a valve body issue, just drop the pan. You’ll see everything you need. Attachment is on cam as shown in previously linked picture.
If it is a cable replacement issue (broken or sticky cable) it is a pain to get the plug thing out but if I can do it outside in the cold and dark and with a flat blade screw driver you stand a chance. On the 66 the cam bracket can be adjusted, leave the two slotted screws in alone. Set the cable before closing it all up and don’t overfill the box. It is not hard, jack it up, secure it, have a large pan and allow the box to drain a little. Better have a new gasket at hand; mine cane off in one piece but you never know!
And oil is ATF Type F, although Dexron III works in a pinch. Don’t overtighten the bolts, it is an aluminium casing.

Good luck for when the time comes,
David

Thanks very much! Fortunately for me, the trans is out in the open in a tube frame I’m building.

Oh right, that’s you!
Not thinking about a conversion? Would be too expensive I guess. In that case it shouldn’t be excessively hard to work on! :slightly_smiling_face:
Frank Andersen is very knowledgeable and I did it recently… twice. If you need any more help with the thing I‘ll gladly respond, but it should be a very easy job.
Your welds don’t look too bad!

David

You’re too kind, really. My welding is atrocious. The best thing I can say about it is that a rock wheel and more wire smooths over many sins.