BW66 park wont lock/engage

Hi all,
I have a 1975 Daimler Coupe with a BW66 auto box fitted by a previous owner. The problem is that the gearbox won’t lock when the park position is selected. The car acts like it’s in natural and just free rolls. Does any know how to fix this, is it just a linkage adjustment or a deeper problem. Your help will be very much appreciated. Cheers

Doncha just love spellcheck? “Natural”.

Can’t help with your problem other than to suggest checking the linkage, as that should be pretty easy. I’d think if it was off, though, the car would be left in R rather than N. But perhaps it’ll roll freely in R with the engine off, I dunno. Offhand I’m betting on a busted parking pawl, though.

It would roll freely in R.

Make sure you feel all 6 positions in the shifter, the detents are in the box itself.
If so drop the oil pan and see if the parking pawl is destroyed or not engaged. It might be fixable.

Yep, gotta turn off auto spellcheck.
The car rolls freely in all gears with the engine off. I’m thinking a broken pawl :frowning:

Hi David, Oh dear, I think you might be right. I’ll get around to doing that some time in the future, no real hurry, maybe a winter job. Thanks for the advice. Thankfully the car has a good hand brake. I was thinking of putting a 4 or 5 speed auto in as a replacement. I’ve been searching but haven’t been able to find anything that would fit. Do you know of one that would fit without to much faffing around?

I’ve just spent some time researching this: many have installed a modern GM autobox, like a 700R or the like, but it’s not the easiest job.

John’s Cars is a good source.

Thanks I’ll look into that :slight_smile:

You’re lucky! Make sure to use it often :slightly_smiling_face:
There are several. A good writeup has been done on the „old site“, you’ll find it best when you google it and add jag-lovers to the search term.

Before doing anything drastic get under the car and disconnect the linkage. Then manually select park with the shift lever that is attached to the transmission. If that results in locking the transmission your problem is linkage adjustment. If not then you have a parking pawl problem which may or may not be correctable with the transmission in the car. Rolling in all gears means nothing in an automatic transmission as there is no solid connection to the motor, just a fluid connection.

2 Likes

Thanks Geoff I stall try that, keeping fingers crossed