C-Type Front Parking Lights

Hi all,
Just curious what everyone is doing for front parking lights? My car came to me with headlights that had a small hole in the the back of the glass with a rubber grommet. A small bulb holder that just fit in the grommet was inserted into this hole to serve as a parking light. All was well until I found some original Lucas 24 hrs Le Mans headlights. Needless to say they don’t have this hole. So now my parking lights don’t have a home.

A complete guess here, but photos of originals look like they may have used XK120\Mk7 type fender mounted park lamps mounted within the headlamp nacelle. No doubt someone here will know more.

1 Like

Hi Paul…hand built diy cars so it can be anything you want…in the UK we have to build to regulations if we want to use the car on the road so need sidelights…most use the small bulb in the headlamp…iv also seen seperate lamp units under the headlamps …or convert the small indicator lamp in the nancel in the headlamp area to a parking lamp and fit separate indicator lamps Steve

1 Like

Steve,
I’d like to keep my car as close to the original as possible. Mine has Lucas 490 lamps for turn signals mounted under the headlight covers. I think they were used on there original C’s but I’m not 100% sure on that. I can modify them to fit a dual filament bulb or just fit a dual filament Lucas 513 lamp, but I think the 513 is noticeably bigger than the 490.

1 Like

Hi Paul…original cars were race cars…they didnt need indicators and parking lights but some got modified for road raceing etc this booklet is worth you getting dosnt mention lights but lists all the original cars with some great photos …Steve

1 Like

Thanks much. One of the few I don’t have.

1 Like

Hi Kevin…those small lights are Lucas 490 side lights… but on C type replicas mainly used as indicators…if you then want additional side lights your options are limited…either a small side light thats in the headlamp bowl…or fit an aditional lamp…or get creative with a dual element side/inficator in the 490… Steve

1 Like

Thanks Steve, got it. That’s supposed to be an Ecurie Ecosse car, so if not factory originally, hopefully at least, period correct.
Re indicators, perhaps some trafficators coming out of the bonnet vents, or one of those arms that they used in old trucks that the driver just pulled down on. :thinking:
Or, perhaps not!

1 Like

I’m going to try to fabricate something with the lens and chrome ring from a 490 and a dual filament base from a 513. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all the input!

Doesnt Paul have this exact solution in his profile picture?

This is a D Type? But I liked the general idea when I took the photo.

1 Like

Not quite the same set-up. Mine is very simple bent aluminum bracket riveted to the flange of the headlight opening and only holds the turn signal lamp (Lucas 490). My parking lamp was in the headlight bulb like Steve mentioned.

Just found a copy on Ebay. Thanks!

I see, so I would just add a second bulb (the lamps are not in the way of the dip beam even though they’re in front of the lamp - neat)

1 Like

Hi Paul…was just thinking…you can get thin flexi strips of led.s…laid around the outside edge of the head lamp…would almost be out of sight till lit…Steve

1 Like

Hey David

I like that a lot that might work well. Where did you get the pic?

1 Like

Hard to tell from the photo, but what does this bracket mount to? Could mount directly to the headlight mounting panel either with it’s own holes or possibly off of a hole for the headlight bucket?

At Goodwood revival, there is a nice art deco style building called Earls Court Motor Show and a few brands like Lotus, Jaguar and BMW show off their best designs as well as their latest creations inside. Jaguar had a few cars there. Didn’t take more than a few pictures as I wanted to leave. Glimpse of the car in the background. Apart from that I know nothing.

If this is a standard Lucas headlamp bucket I can imagine the bracket is secured to the bucket. I’d prefer that.

1 Like