California VIN numbers don't match

I agree that it’s not the best photo - it’s just the first one I found in xkedata close to the OP’s car number. Double click on the photo to blow it up, and it’s pretty clear. Oh, put on your reading glasses first… :grinning:

1 Like

You are correct - on closer examination, I can see some of the paint that shows the 1R on the windshield tag, so 1R is painted, and then the number is stamped. So my statement that the windshield tag only said 10795 is incorrect. It says 1R10795.

1 Like

Here is what mine looks like. Originally delivered in California and has stayed in this state ever since. You can see the J.63 tag that was added.

That’s like what my wife always says “it depends on the person behind the counter” if things go well or don’t.

Tried calling Cali DMV today to see if I could get documentation on the requirement to add the J69. They are closed today, April 1, because Cesar Chavez Day. Can’t make this stuff up.

Ohio Highway Patrol returned my voicemail. Very friendly, but concluded with ‘I don’t know what to do’. Next step is he got me an appointment at the OHP VIN inspection station, in 3 weeks.

I cannot be the first person in Ohio to buy an older California car. Someone, somewhere must have the solution.

You have a good chance to get there.
I had a vintage car, VIN didn’t match pink because 2 digits were transposed.

A California CHP (admittedly my neighbor) looked at both and wasn’t fazed. He simply corrected VIN on the verification form, and added “appears to be a clerical error”. He also pointed out that the offending digits were almost certainly trim codes and not significant.

I suggest you bring ALL the documentation you have including the posts in this thread that explain the discrepancy clearly. My California car has the J64 tag, but it is not included in the VIN sequence on the title

Good luck!

No clue as to the process in Ohio, but I had a similar issue with titling and registering my 150 in CA.

DMV said it was fairly straight forward to get it corrected - on the Request for Title form (REG 343), I used the actual Chassis Number as the VIN. I then had a local policeman visually inspect the car. After explaining the error on the AZ title to him, he signed the form.

DMV accepted it without question.

Fixed it! Went to the downtown title office and asked who could fix errors in my VIN number, the lady said she could, she accepted my explanation for the extra characters, and issued me an Ohio title. I got plates coming XK EEEHA.

9 Likes

Happy ending.

Happy endings are always good!

At some point in time, someone typoed mine from 1S73238 to 1573238. Hasn’t been problem so far.

OK, Art, good story. So is it registered as a J691Rxxxxx or did they drop that prefix?

And you got the person who was willing to think … :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ah Ha! Find that right person. Don’t hesitate to get the License Plate soon and, if I may suggest, make sure Ohio registers your vehicle in the NMVTIS before someone else enters an erroneous number (that is what happened to me…by an Ohio Title Officer) Not all states participate in NMVTIS, but Ohio does.

Very good news indeed! Congratulations!!!

Like the plate no. Should name a TV show after it!

They dropped the J69, so my Ohio title is consistent with the heritage certificate of 1Rxxxxx. I did this in the morning before the eclipse, and hopefully, like the eclipse, it won’t come up again in my lifetime :-).

Actually, I jest, I’ve always been a bit of an astronomy buff. The moon’s orbital plane is inclined about 5 degrees to the plane in which the Earth orbits the Sun. So twice a year, the path of the Moon intersects the plane of the Earth’s orbit at a point that falls between the sun and the Earth. Actually, 4 times a year: twice when the moon is closer than Earth, and twice when the moon is further, creating a lunar eclipse. The issue is that the path of the eclipse is only 100 miles wide, and the Earth is 8,000 miles wide, so often the eclipse only grazes an edge, or it falls on the ocean (since the Earth’s surface is about 80% water). Bottom line, eclipses are relatively common, just not always on major land masses.

2 Likes

A fellow geek!!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

As an aside, my buddy, whose middle name is Edmund, I guess had sloppy handwriting on his birth certificate, and his passport was issued with his middle name as Edmurd. He had a heck of a time getting that corrected, insisting that he had had his name all his life, so he ought to know what it is, even if they could not read the birth certificate. They actually suggested he go by Edmurd, rather than changing it!

Supposedly a true story:

Back in WWII, a good ol’ boy from down south enlisted. His parents didn’t give him a name - just called him RB.

Time came for dog tags.
The army refused to accept initials – hadda have a full name.
After several failed attempts, the Drill Sergeant filled in the form himself:
R(only) B(only) Jones

That works – sorta. Tags were made out to Ronly Bonly Jones

Red Tape my a$$

2 Likes

Should have called him “Arby” :smiley:

4 Likes