***Calling All E type OTS Enthusiasts: Boot Seal Big Buy!

Hi Candiece
If you could supply a size and weight of a container, I could research USPS costs to Canada.
Thank you,
Mike

I used the medium flat rate box 13 ⅝” x 11 ⅞” x 11” or (11” x 8 ½” x 5 ½” and it was just under 2 lbs with one 4M seal. My zip is 73034

Hope that helps.

@Tommykat1 ,
The boot lid fit looks great. I installed my seal but haven’t cut toff he extra length yet. Can’t decide whether to cut it with side cutters, or tin snips. What did you use tout it and get a nice clean cut? id you glue the ends together?
Thanks,
Bill.

1 Like

I will get it shipped to California. Can’t afford that ship to Canada stuff!

1 Like

Bill, great question. I tried tin snips and scissors. No go! Crooked and mangled cuts! I bought a new pair of sidecutters and they worked perfectly. Note that you can attack this from four different positions–up, down, top, bottom–only one of which works cleanly. My suggestion is to practice a bunch with the extra length before committing to the final cut. You’ll get it, not rocket science, but one angle yields the straightest cut and with no nibs sticking out. Also, a sharp razor knife can be helpful to get the trailing rubber strip perfectly straight, if needed. You’ll see as you go.

I did not glue the ends.

Thank you, tommykat1.
I’ll use my new super sharp side cutters. thanks again.
Bill.

2 Likes

Gotta give a special “hats off” one more time to Doug, @skiracer for turning us on to this uprated boot lid seal, and Candie, @c1nicole for pulling together the group purchase.

I hope this thread will find its way to Terry’s, Moss, Welsh and SNG Barratt so they can see once and for all that the “round” replacement seal they have been selling for 35 years is incorrect and causes “boot lid bulge.” (Note the original seal was more oval shaped.) I now have two of these castoff “round” seals relegated to a drawer in my shop. This new replacement fits the rain gutter properly and is a closer profile to the original seal than what these guys have been offering incorrectly for thirty five years!

And thank you to Jag-Lovers for hosting such an incredible community of Jag nuts where we can obsess together over our cars. It’s a great place to hang.

3 Likes

Looks like the medium flat rate box to Canada is $58.50.
I will say I’m out of the group buy.
Thanks,
Mike

1 Like

Where in BC are you? If you are within easy driving distance of Vancouver BC or even the border, I make regular trips to Vancouver/Surrey from my Washington State home.

I could bring it over the border if sent to me, as for sure I will be in Vancouver on June 24-25 for my niece’s wedding. I probably will be there before then, as I make up for lost time after the COVID border crossing.

Alternatively, I ordered 7m of weatherstrip and only need half of that at most. However, I would want to fit it to my own E-type first before parting with the surplus and I’m not sure when I’ll get around to doing that.

Dave

2 Likes

here is my orig seal on a 69 ots.

Very revealing. It looks closer to our new seal than the POS the vendors have been forcing on us. Notice how it fills the rain gutter, which the “round” replacement seal doesn’t do, but the new seal does.

2 Likes

I used cast scissors, something many of you probably do not have laying around.

Tried a few things before we settled with those. It cut the metal as well as the rubber smoothly.

1 Like

Same issue we had, kept practicing on a scrap piece of the “wrong seal” finally found that a pair of my cast scissors worked PERFECTLY. Just “smooshed” it flat and one smooth cut and it was straight.

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/39N834_AS01?hei=804&wid=804

1 Like

I would be in for 4M.

I am in the middle of a move to HI but I suspect I will have an address by the time it is ready to ship.

Yes I am aware of the shipping cost to the Island.

1 Like

Do not have the all in price for this order, but with the last order; each seal, all in cost was $30 ($29.74 exactly). This included seal and shipping from UK to me and then shipping me to you (In continental US).

Please advise length of seal you want.
@willinda 7M
@davchr 4M
@TexasJagMan Spike 3.5M
Al Sadur 4 M
Mike O
@rogerblincow
@F18driver 4M
@Doubled33 4M
@SpeedieJag James Waite # JDS15

Updated, if there is a length/item # next to the name, I have heard back confirming their intent in the next group buy.

If not still pending.

Hey Tommy care to fill in the blanks

COUPES ARE FOR …?

1 Like

Here ya go, Dino…

3 Likes

…people who want the better-looking body style?

:laughing:

3 Likes

There’s all that medical training, kicking in for car maintenance, again… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Apologies for not responding earlier…4M is a good length for me!

Thanks again

Dave

1 Like