Camshafts 180 Out

Why not then simply switch the wires around :slightly_smiling_face: easier to reverse next time!

1 Like

Has been on every one Iā€™ve taken apart. My impression is they were hand drilled, with each one being unique.

1 Like

Hereā€™s one data point from my 150:
You can see the drive tang is off-set, but the hole is drilled dead center.

Sure looks dead centre. I replaced the dizzy in my '68 E-type with a Pertronix several years ago so fished the original out of The Boxā„¢. Itā€™s hard to get a precise measurement directly so I wrapped the shaft with masking tape and punched holes through where the dog is pinned

then carefully unwrapped and positioned the tape for measurement

close, but not equal. I did it twice to make sure. Same result.

How easily does the pin come out? And is there any downside side to removing it, like parts flying around the garage with wild abandon?

I tried taking the pin out with a punch and several sharp hits with a hammer. Wouldnā€™t budge. Appears to be peened.

Some are a surprisingly tight press fit. And some come out easier from one side than the other. But I have yet to see one that you could rotate the dog 180 and out the pin back in. I first learned this when I put a Mallory in an e-type. I had to use the dog to guide the drill when drilling the Mallory shaft. Drilling the shaft on-center would put the hole in the wrong place so it would not line up to the hole in the dog in either orientation. So, if you get a dizzy where it IS on-center, you got lucky.

Same test with my spare distributor. The same 2mm difference, I checked twice with two pieces of tape. And that pin is indeed there for the duration. Tried from both sides using a drift and hammer with PB Blaster.

Having the pin offset makes sense. Why hade the offset on the drive dog if it could be assembled on to the shaft incorrectly? That would defeat the whole purpose of the offset drive.

1 Like

I have done this several times without a problem.

Whenever I strip and rebuild a dizzy I always mark the dog and the shaft with a pin punch before disassembly so that I donā€™t put it back together backwards.

WRT it being hard to get the pin out. Yes, it usually takes a fair bit of force with punch and a hammer.

Just to throw my 2c I tried to drift a pin out and had zero success so I think its very dissy dependant whether you will succeed or fail.

Itā€™s been 20 years but I think I pushed mine out with a bench vice and short pointed tool. I know I got it out because I had to swap it onto a NOS dizzy I found.

Yep that could work (obviously did for you) rather than the percussive method.

As i said in a post above i reversed my dogā€¦the pin comes out easy if you use a pressā€¦i would have thought these parts were made individually then assembledā€¦i cant imagin each one being assembled then drilled by handā€¦especially as the dog would need to be lined up with the rotor position exactly the same on each dizzyā€¦Steve

The drive dog pin must come out ( using a suitable method ), as Moss (XKs) sells a replacement drive dog, pin and washer as a set.
How well it comes outā€¦and what damage may be done to the shaftā€¦could be the tricky part.

HJK

Iā€™m looking for a replacement for that black soft washer that fits between the bottom of the distributor and towards the top of the shaft ( see photos above ). Not the ā€œOā€ ring towards the bottom, the larger, thicker one above it.
Iā€™ve checked Moss, SNG and Welshā€¦and no luck. Even the official Jaguar spare parts catalogue doesnā€™t list it.
Is this just not available anymoreā€¦or not necessary ?? Got to believe, given how this unit fits to the block, that it is important.
Thoughts ??

Harold
'65 XKE 4.2L OTS

Itā€™s just a thrust washer, not critical.

I canā€™t speak for all of them but the NOS spare from the 70s I installed was pre-drilled for the dog.

Do you mean the cork washer? It looks black after a few years but itā€™s cork. Iā€™m pretty sure the last one I got was from SNG. Install it in the block recess first, then push the shaft in, not the other way around. Itā€™s very snug.

Yesā€¦and it probably is corkā€¦as the texture is a bit ā€œcrumblyā€. And it certainly is black now after 55 years !
Maybe Iā€™ll just call SNG and Moss and see what they sayā€¦
Thanks !

HJK

OKā€¦update on that distributor washer I just asked about. In talking to Moss, they originally thought they did not haveā€¦nor have they seenā€¦that washer. On a hunch, the Moss rep said to check the exploded parts illustration in the official Jag Spare Parts Catalogueā€¦but for the engine block, not the distributor components.
And there it was: officially called the ā€œSealing Ring, in Distributor Aperture on Cylinder Blockā€
Part no. C.2430
And Moss carries it. ( ! ) So for a few bucks, Iā€™ve got me a new ring on itā€™s way. Today is a good day.
Best,

HJK