Can anyone give me advice about upgrading seat belts to include a shoulder harness? Make my wife happy

Hoping this has been done. Thanks, David

I did this David, for the same reason. My car is a 1962 but the location and nut for fixing the shoulder (sash) harness were already there on my coupe. I bought my three point belts from one of the usuals. I will try to locate the thread - some of the guys here were very helpful when I moved from two point to three point.

Found it. Paul.

I would recommend you contact Pawel Podchorodecki at Quickfit Seatbelts. pawel@quickfitsbs.com. He has been very helpful. I got their retractable system a year ago and am installing this week (1966 FHC). I’ll post some pictures once I’m a bit further along.

Thanks for your reply. Have you got your new ones installed? Where did you find them? Appreciate your reply. Best, David

Hello Angus, Thanks for your reply and info. I am very interested in how your install goes. (1970FHC). Please let me know and if you have pics that could be really helpful too. Best, David

They were installed about five years ago. They came from XK’s Unlimited In the USA. Happy with them!

Just an FYI, I tried retractable on my 70 2+2 using the existing should mount as the anchor. I did not keep it an hour as I felt that configuration was wildly dangerous if there is a rear passenger. Basically, you guaranteed head trauma in a collision.

I’m sure you could do it but I think you’d need more than the kit from moss for the 2+2.

David, Here is what I bought from Quickfit. It is solid and well made.

I asked for pictures of how others had installed. Here are a couple pictures (this is not my car). Notice that whoever installed the second picture has a spacer to raise the anchor point.

I wanted the mechanism lower like what is shown in the passenger-side picture. Thus, I spent some time re-working the panel behind the seats. Yes, this is not a concours car.

It was a bit nerve-racking to drill into the wheel well. Once I put in the mechanism, I noticed that it was off at an angle due to the curve of the wheelwell. Next I had to make a bracket to bring it back inline.

It is now fitted. I still have to drill the hole for the shoulder anchor point. That will happen tomorrow. Here is a picture of my wife modeling the new set-up (I’m holding the shoulder anchor point).

2 Likes

THANK YOU so much for sharing what you have and are doing. I have a coupe not a 2+2 but it should be much the same, I guess. Seens you are much handier than I am so not sure about making parts up. Nice work. Looking forward to hearing more about the finished product. Best, David

Hello David, Thanks for your reply. I have a coupe not a 2+2 but it might be much the same. Did you end up getting anything installed?
Best, David

I ditched the retractable and went with new static belts (https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/). My belts were the originals and I think safety wise something new would be better.

On a coupe, I think this thread may help (this is what I had installed):

This is such great info, many thanks, do you know the name of the usual supplier?

Moss Motors sells the Securon belts.

Hppe those wheel arch mounting points are suitably reinforced.

I’ll bet my life they are.