Can anyone help me identify these Jaguar axles please?

I am no expert on 70 year old axles! I hope someone else here is.

I am trying to be a skinflint. Usually when this happens I pay double.

With a general lack of affordable 120 XK axles locally, I am trying to get any axle on my XK120 to get it rolling. I will keep my eyes out for the real thing over the next year.

I bought these 2 cheap, they arrived on a pallet yesterday.

The Salisbury looking one is just over 50 inches wide measured from the wheel faces of the brake drums.

It has 11 inch brake drums and splines for wires. MK1 is scribbled onto it (Saloon?).

This one is complete with a functioning hand brake mechanism. It will not turn. I hope to get the drums off tomorrow, maybe the back off to, to see what the ratio is. No tags. This distance between spring perch centers is just over 3ft.

The other one is approximately 53 inches wide and has 12 inch drums. It looks a bit like an ENV. It turns, however when I counted the turns the answer was 2.25:1 which I find hard to believe. I might have to try harder.

Couple of pics below. I hope to be able to pull one apart tomorrow.

I have altered spring hangers on tube axles many times before. I even have a new set of spring hangers ready to weld on. I have telescopic lower shock brackets and upper brackets already on the chassis.

I have no idea of the pinion angle I am trying to achieve. If the diff pinion runs parallel to the spring hanger, I could get straight on with it.

Does anyone know?

Anyone got any ideas?

Wire wheel axle is a Salisbury, looks like a 4HA, the other, assuming it is a from a Jaguar, is ENV. Doesn’t look like either of them is from an XK.

1 Like

wire brush em up in the usual places to find some numbers, and markings…near the flanges on the diff…and sometimes on the top of the axle tube…also on the base of the diff nose…\Nick

This table gives the center to center drop for the ring and pinion for the various Salisbury axles.

Thank Mike, that is very interesting for setting the diff set up.

I guess what I am after is the relative angle between the sping mount and the pinion.

Are they in the same plane? Do I need to make the pinion flange point upwards a few degrees by altering the position of the spring mounts?

A cross sectional drawing on the car on its wheels would show the relative angles I assume?

Axle Angle

If you are asking what the angle of the spring perch is relative to the pinion centerline, I can tell you what that is on a XK150 axle that I have on the bench. I can put a digital level on the spring perch, then the rear cover flange. Anything more or less than a 90 degree difference is the pinion drop angle. I’ll get to it later this morning.

The width of the basic XK Salisbury axle housing, no brakes, caliper mounts, backing plates, etc is very close to 48-1/2"

The pinion almost always points down a couple of degrees to compensate for the spring wrap on acceleration. When viewed from the right hand side, the axle housing rotates counterclockwise under acceleration, raising the nose.

The ENV-looking one is certainly not for an XK. It could be off something like an Alvis or an AC saloon.

1 Like

No gear lube dip stick either, that I can see?

Thanks Mike, very useful.

Chris, I notice AC stamped on the ENV.

This is where I got to this morning.

The ENV axle. 53 inches from wheel face to wheel face. 12 inch brakes. 4.55:!?! Very good condition all round. The wheel stud pattern matched an E type steel wheel I have lying around.

The Salisbury axle.
50 and a bit inches from wheel face to wheel face. 10 inch drums. 3.9:1? Good Condition. For small wire wheels (splines smaller than Jaguar.

I have the ability to shorten axle tubes, weld mounting brackets, cut splines and harden shafts. However I think this pair has got the better of me.

I am thinking both ratios are a bit revvy on 16 inch wheels and a 4 speed gearbox. I would never get anywhere!

Drat.

Any one got an XK axle they want to sell me?

Hi James…great to meet up with you at Angus,s open day…im refurbing a 150 just done the springs, axel, shocks…are you aware of the tapered wedge between spring and axel to set the correct angle…sorry cant help with an axel…they are a bit tall…expect your after something like a 2.88 ha ha…all the best…Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, how could I forget!
Thanks, yes wedges, I have one or two. That would definitely help in a pinch.

If the Salisbury was interchangeable with one of the (6 or more) E type diffs I have lying around, then I could just change the gubbins, alter the width, then fit the 12 inch ENV brakes and axle ends.

However, I suspect, the Salisbury I have is a 2ha not a 4ha, so all my E type internals will not help me.

Show us a photo of the rear cover and we can tell you if it’s a 2ha or 4ha.

James, the ENV looks very like the one fitted to the post war AC 2 litre saloon.ENV axle AC 2 litre post war

Could someone tell me what the circled bit of text actually means?
Thanks.

It places the clamping forces onto the steel of the spring rather than the rubber bush would be my take on the text.

Would that not make the bush pointless?

I would imagine the washers need to push up against the inner steel of the bush and not the outer steel, if that is how the bushes are made, if not then I agree the bush becomes pointless.

Matt

I suppose we really need to know the outer diametre of the washer to know where exactly they are going to meet the bush.

1 Like

Haveing just fitted springs and the washers in my opinion the wording in the drawing is not correct…with the bush pressed into the spring it protrudes both sides…the inner metal sleeve a more than the outer…the washers mentioned is a thin ring that fit over the outer sleeve of the bush and up against the spring on both sides…the assembly is fitted into the cage…a thick washer 4265 fitted to the inside and butts up to the inner bush sleeve…there was no sidways movement on my setup but if there was shims could be fitted …the whole thing tightened down…clamping only the inner sleeve of the bush…the special washers are not clamped in place and are there to stop sideways movement of the spring should the spring try to move on the outer bush sleeve…Steve

1 Like