Can I spray my E chrome wires with a clear coat or protector( I have just spent hours each delisting and polishing

Coating chrome wire wheels? rust protection mainly. any suggestions? Geoff

Probably.

Spraying them with WD40 and cleaning regularly is what I’ve heard.

I’m too lazy. I bought wheels with stainless spokes and pressure clean them occasionally.

1 Like

I find that the best way of dealing with WWs is to take them off and give them a really good clean , then just a quick rinse to remove dust followed by a spray with WD 40 ( or wipe down with oil / white spirit 50/50 mix ) and polish with a rag keeps them looking as new . If the car has to be stored in a cold,damp environment , then a spray or wipe down with oil should protect them for a while .

My car, although garaged is on the coast and they rust again within a few days. wd40 seams to attract dust and they soon look dirty?

I shall be interested if there is a magic solution for Chromed wire wheels.
I, like you, have recently spent 3hrs per wheel cleaning and polishing. I used Autosol cream which I have found is excellent in providing a good shine and some rust protection.
I shall not have the wheels on the car for a maybe a couple of years so I have sprayed them with “Lanox” and hope this will protect them while in storage.
The steel gates do not rust where the sheep rub against them!!!
Would like to know of any product that would be more suitable for protection on a road running vehicle.

I use this and it works amazingly well. I usually just need to clean the wheels twice per year and I do about 5000 miles each year. I do not live on the coast however.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/hot-rims-chrome-wheel-cleaner

Never spray clear on Chrome , You will be so sorry in a yr. WD40 is right answer

wd 40 is the old trick from my model A friend’s power wash repeat till you give up
I don’t think there’s an easy way
I’ve thought of a lite clear coat but make sure it’s one you can get off if it doesn’t work like (enamel) it will start to peal eventually
Maybe try it on your spare
Japanese bikes use clear coat on the polished aluminum parts
Im Sure someone here has tried it

WD40 Teflon Dry-Lube would be a better solution since the original formula is greasy and attracts more dirt. Or if you’re feeling more industrious, a wax or performance finish that you have to apply by hand and buff off.

I like the spray on rinse off sealant to help keep them clean. No matter what you do, you’ll have to clean them and the sealant makes cleaning them much easier.

303 Touchless Sealant - SiO2 Water Activated Paint & Glass Protection - Spray On, Rinse Off - Lasts 2X Longer Than Wax - Deep, Wet Shine, 32 fl. oz. (30394CSR) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJXYQBW/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_6GSCPJ1YS09B3NFJZNMV

2 Likes

From the comments. Do not spray a clear coat. I will try 303 Touchless Sealeant (a spray on wax) and see if the rust reappears. Thanks for your input guys. Geoff