Can I use this for towing onto the trailer?

Original? Anyone having the same on an E-type series 3?

Hi,

I have one, but if I had to tow, I would rather use a proper rope and have it go around the inside corners of the frames where the lowe A-arms are connected.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Okay, so the loop is not aftermarket you think?

If probably secured, with thru bolts, I wouldn’t have too much of a problem pulling on that onto a trailer: I certainly would not use it to put out of anything where it was stuck.

2 Likes

Hi,

No, not ”aftermarket” most likely a shipping security fixing thing, like XJ’s had too in the front subframe BUT not strong enough for towing, IMHO. I think it could bend the picture frame, but as I see you have no engine, bonnet etc. so probably strong enough for some pulling. I am sure every V12 E-type had that bracket from the factory. For securing the car during shipping (so the suspension would not be jumping up and down.)

Cheers!

Thanks. You are probably right about shipping security. Today the car is complete, so the estimated force when loading on the trailer will maybe be around 200 kg.

Original? YES
Anyone having the same on an E-type series 3? It was on both of my Series III’s - 1x OTS and 1x 2+2

1 Like

It may or may not be original but there is no way I’d use that to tow the vehicle. It’s far too flimsy.

Just put a loop of webbing around the piece of picture frame it’s attached to.

You don’t mean tow do you? You mean to pull an empty chassis on to a trailer to transport it right?
Use a lower control arm to do that. Triangulate to both if you like.

Either. That thing isn’t strong enough to risk your car with.

I disagree: if those are thrubolts, and for the sole purpose of pulling it up on a trailer, it would work fine.

I agree.

I’d tie a rope the front leg of each lower control arm where it attaches to the picture frame and pull on the rope with the load distributed to each side.

1 Like

Sorry for using ”tow”. I’d like to connect a wire from my trailer winsch and pull the car on to the trailer. It is now ready renovated and the weight is 1600 kilogram. I guess from all the answers that there are safer ways to connect to the car. Thanks for all comments.

Each to their own Paul.

A couple of skinny screws and a bit of bent 2mm mild steel vs a huge insurance claim.

It’s webbing for me.

They arent just “Skinny screws,” and given Jaguar apprently thought it good enough to install, as OE…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Again, to use as a point to pull it onto a trailer, or around a yard, I do not see the hair-on-fire issue.

1 Like

Anders;
The only time my restored S2 has been on a roll back vehicle, he (tow truck operator) followed my directions and put his hooks on the lower control arm attach points, we put a 4x4 under the chain and pulled the fully assembled car onto the deck. No injury to car, me, or driver. I think this is how the book says to do it.

Regards, Joel…

1 Like

I will reiterate: if you’re just rolling the car up onto a trailer, I do not see this as an issue. I have used similar, small towing hooks on other kinds of cars to do the same thing and absolutely nothing bad happened.

By all means, if it makes you feel more comfortable to pull with a strap from both sides on the lower control arms, go for it. I just do not believe that this would cause a problem by using it for that purpose.

I am 95% certain they are
Will snap photo of bolts today when I am in my hobby shop (my tow bracket is out for cad plating)
Stand by for photo . . .

1 Like

Hi,

I think so too. But the picture frame is at it’s weakest in the middle and it can not take torsional loads. Also that bracket is clearly designed to take forces going up and down, not front and back.

But gently using a wrench to pull a car onto a trailer? Sure. It should be fine. YMMV.

Cheers!

I’ll save you the bother, Craig, here’s a pic courtesy of Bring A Trailer showing the bracket bolted through the picture frame but as mentioned it’s most likely intended as a tie down for shipping not an actual tow hook. I’m impressed Jaguar would even bother to do this. :open_mouth: