"Can opener" lower trans cover

69 Coupe

I’m currently working on some final minor body issues re: my body-off restoration. When stripping the car, I noticed that the lower metal cover under the trans had been hacked open. That issue is the last of the body repairs that is needed. I recall reading a post some time ago that the “can opener” procedure is not that uncommon. I’m curious as to why this is/was done? Akthough it is approx 18" in length, it waould not have been wide enought to remove/access the drive shaft.

Also, what is acceptable repair for this type of damage? My initial thought was to cut out a nice rectangular section around the “hacking job” and weld in a new piece. I also thought of possibly cutting out a piece and then welding a substantial amount of nuts so I could bolt on the new cover section but since I am not an engineer, I’m not sure if that would be structurally sound, or not?

If it is what I think it is it was done to attempt a clutch change without removing the engine. The hack job allows the bell housing and gearbox to be moved backward and clear the bodywork. Restoring the structural integrity of the area is really the only sound option.

Can you take and post a pic?