Can't cold start without ether.. runs good after

Hi!

My XJ40 1988 can’t cold start without ether in the intake. After it runs for about 5-10 min, it re-start well. The idle is a little low (around 700-800) but everything seems to work fine, exept a speaker…

There is not pulsating in the injectors at ignition. What could cause that, and how come it re-start after running a few minutes? (Im a bit of a newb) When its humid/raining, the car doesnt restart after a 1h drive. It needs ether for any start.

Fuel pump works well, pressure in good. Crank shaft sensor, and well as temperature sensor changed. I tried another ECU, same problem. Alternator was rebuilt lately, battery is new. Theres 12v at the injector but no pulse. I cleaned a few grounds… what else… all relays work fine. Theres is spark.

Any ideas?

Hi how are you determining that there is no pulse on the injectors?

My neighbor (who had a garage, and his helping me out) had a round luminescent diode specific to chdck injector pulse.

According to the shop manual, the injectors are supposed to give 4 injections when starting, and then one each time after.

We had access another xj40 (for spare parts), and try the diode on that one. It flash very quickly at ignition and started, as it supposed to do.

I take it you changed the temperature sensor (with 2 terminals) and not the sender (one terminal)? By the way the idle is fine at 700-800 rpm
It sounds as though the cold start sequence is not happening.
Are you getting any fault codes on the dash? When you have the engine running turn the ignition off (I think only to the ACC position) and then press the VCM button.
http://www.jag-lovers.org/ebooks/bookindex.php?Vbook=xj40
This is a link to the on line eBook for the XJ40

I did change the sensor. I have a fueling failure code, as well as a light bulb…

What is the FF code number?

I’m trying to figure out how the get the code, for now i have fuelling failure 6 in the dashboard, only had fuelling faillure yesturday.

I tried that, as well as the vcm button, nothing seems to get me the fault code. I have fuelling failure 1 sometimes, fuelling failure 6 other time…