Cant get my cat to start

recently bought a 1994 xj12 have tested starter and had to replace it also replaced bad spark plug wires and bought a new battery. she acts like she wants to start but cant. can smell gas and hear fuel pump. looking for help she’s a pretty kitty and i’d really like to turn her loose on the flatlands of Kansas would appreciate any help thank you

Maybe too obvious, but do you get a strong spark from the coil wire when removed from the distributor cap while cranking engine? Should jump 1/4" easily to any grounded point. Don

This is a Marelli ign. system, spark plug gap should not exceed .025. Are the injectors and firing order on the plug leads correct? Check tank n sump filter…go to Jaguar Forums and find Grant Frances’s treatise on: “So ya got a HE V12 that won’t start”… very comprehensive. The man knows the V12 as well and better than most here. Best, JW

Wrong forum (we are the XJS crowd), but since you have my engine – 6.0L V12 with two coils and two ignition amps – I will share with you (and everyone else) some of the knowledge on this set-up that I have gathered over the past 7 years.

The ONLY way this engine will not start (provided there is fuel delivery, which I assume is the case since you report smell of raw gas) is a fault in the CPS (crankshaft position sensor).

Fault in the ignition coils or amps – either BOTH coils or BOTH amps will have to be dead to prevent the engine from starting. It will do so on one bank without too much trouble.

If you have a problem with the fuel pump (relay or the pump itself), you can try cycling the ignition switch several times. The pump only runs for 2 seconds. Do it 3-4 times before you crank. If you insert the key and start turning the starter right away, you may not be getting enough pressure at the rail, especially if there is a leaky injector or the check valve if caput. Unlikely in this case, but worth checking/trying.

Good luck,
Steve

thank you all will try some of the suggestions :yum: