Can't lock drivers door!

1998 X308. I don’t use it much so remove the battery and fully charge it every few months. Today the battery was totally flat (which it never has been before). After removing the battery I normally I go round each door, lift the handle and push the button down to lock it, but only the drivers door needed doing today. Except I can’t lock it! I used the key to unlock it, but the key won’t lock it, and I just can’t push the button down, even when I lift the handle. Anyone got any ideas why not?

Battery is inside being charged up. I’ve been outside to check the car. I can turn the key anti-clockwise (unlock) but not clock-wise (lock), and cannot push the button down with the outside handle pulled up, so cannot lock drivers door. I’m wondering whether it’s got something to do with the all other doors being locked. Yet I can’t unlock them because they are deadlocked and the central locking won’t work until the battery is back in. It seems too much of a coincidence that’s it just done it since the battery was flat and never before, but I’m worried it won’t work when the battery is back in. Surely someone must have come across this before! Help!!!

G’day Mr Frosti,

I have found that the doors won’t manually lock or unlock unless a well charged battery is in the car.

Cheers,
Jeff.

G’day Jeff,
Is that on an X308 and could you turn the key both ways but nothing happens? Well I could certainly unlock it (drivers door only) but the key just won’t turn clockwise to lock! Surely it’s mechanical not electrical.

G’day Frosti,

I’ve never tried it with the battery disconnected, what I meant was with an almost flat battery I had trouble getting the door locks to lock or unlock. My car is an X305 V12.

Cheers,
Jeff.