Capillary clips fror SS / Mk IV

I have just heard that John Clucas , here, has had a quote for making the small spring clips that hold the copper temperature capillary onto the radiator stays on the carby side of the engine

This haven’t been available for ages
The late Michael Roberts had them , although a bit heavy in the material gauge . But that was a long time ago
The price will depend on how many are made and that will depend on how many people put up their hands for a set
Three to a car and depending on numbers about AU$ 9-10 each estimated.
Now would be the time to let him know

These are the clips I referred to

Yes please.
How does one get hold of John?
Regards, Jordy

Graham

John is on (03) 9874 5475 {melbourne ]

Ed

John has advised me that all the clips he ordered have been spoken for .

This is part no. 520 - Clip, securing Thermometer Gauge Pipe to Radiator Tie Rod (4 req.) in the Mark V parts catalogue page 85A under Electrical Equipment.
I did not find it in catalogs for earlier models. I was hoping to find a manufacturer’s name. Looks like a common enough hardware item. I wonder if it was used on any other British car?

Rob

I don’t know whether it’s the same. Mk Vs had a different capillary . The modern one with a wire wrapping around it , where as Mk IV and earlier had a plain 1/8" copper one.
I’d suspect a lot of parts were proprietary and common to other brands, The trick is knowing which ones were.

Yes, the capillary on my Apr '50 Mark V is 5/32" OD on the protective wire wrap, with a .072" tube inside. Same on later models.
I don’t know if that difference of 1/32" would be enough to justify a different clip?

I thought I had some of those omega clips but I looked high and low and didn’t find them. I wonder if maybe mine never had them, as I see my left hand bonnet latching rail has two clips on it that look like they could hold a capillary tube. It would probably be better protected from damage under there than clipped to the radiator bracing tie rod.

Curiously, my XK120 from Nov '51 had the old style 1/8" OD tube. Perhaps they were using up old stock on the 120 line.

Rob

That wouldn’t surprise me . The early XK120s used MK IV dashboard metal backing an djust cut off the extra section where the switches over the steering column had been .