Car Numbering Question

Did a quick search and didn’t see the answer to this one, but it’s probably somewhere obvious and I missed it. As many know, I just purchased, but have not yet taken delivery of a '63 FHC. I’ve been looking through Bob Stevenson’s excellent Series I JCNA judge’s guide, showing what is correct and when changes were made. Many changes are identified by the 6 digit “Car Number”, in my case 88639. A few changes that are purely related to the engine are identified by the Engine Number. However, many changes are tied to another number that I am unfamiliar with, beginning with 1E, followed by five numeric digits.

What is that number and where do I find it? Thanks in advance for answering what is probably an obvious newbie question.

Regards,
Scott

OK, never mind. I figured out that the “1E xxxxx” is just a later Series I Car #. I knew there was an obvious answer.

Scott,
You’re right, the 1E prefix came with the 4.2L engine change in '65. In '69 they came with the 1R prefix then for a not fully understood 2R prefix in '71. There are a few differences in the 2R car but no documentation I know of that exists why that prefix was changed. After that came the V12 cars which have a 1S prefix.
pauls

1 Like

Thanks for the more thorough explanation for this E-Type novice.

A third number is the Body number, which for yours should be something like say V4567 and can probably be found either behind the rear license plate or else riveted under the Moquette upholstery on the inside left rear wheel arch.

This is a pic of a '63 OTS, but on my '63 FHC it was pretty much in the same location. Unfortunately I didn’t find the location before I had the body chemically dip stripped (hidden behind all the fuzzy remnants after pulling the interior. Anyone know where to get a replacement made.

63%20ots%20body%20tag

Craig. i have been looking for a source for this tag also as mine is missing from my ots. Have pretty much resigned myself to getting one of these machines to make one.

Geoff,

Thanks looks fairly promising. There was a guy on E-Bay that advertised ability to produce exact replacements - paid for two but got nothing. Let me know if you go this route, I can help reduce your cost.

My body tags were missing too. I found a gentleman, Rick Lyons, on another board (jaguarforums.com, search for body tag) who made me a couple of tags for my 65 OTS for about $20. They turned out great.

Rick’s contact information is:
317-294-8948
ricklyons@tds.net

That looks like a great lead. Thanks.

If I go that route it will be quite a while in the future as I am at the panel welding stage only. Still hoping to get a cheaper option.