Car show comments

I went to my first car show today with the freshly restored jaguar 4.2. Over 500 cars attended.
I open the bonnet so people could see the beautiful six cylinder engine.
I thought I’d heard them all, things like
Is that the 12… when clearly it’s a six.
Is that an MG?
That’s every teenage boys dream.
That’ll do 180 miles an hour.
But today I heard a new one.
Is that the 12 that can transition between six and twelve cylinders?
Maybe they were getting that mixed up with GM’s ill fated V8-6-4…

2 Likes

It’s painful
Give them
A history lesson
Tell them is battery powered😀

1 Like

Always a bit amusing when we’re reminded that not everyone is as car-smart as we’d think.

LOL about the 6-to-12 transitioning engine. Tell ‘em it is a 6 that sometimes transitions to 3,4, or 5 cylinders whenever the Lucas electrics act up.

I was at a car gathering yesterday chatting with a person who really is a car nut, but even he surprised me by saying he thought all but the earliest E types were V12s and that he didn’t think Jaguar imported the 6 to the US. Never have heard that one before.

And then driving home, I was sitting at a stoplight and a Jeep Cherokee rolled alongside me. The window rolled down and two lovely 20-something African American ladies leaned out the window and called out “Excuse me sir, but we just had to tell you that has to be the sexiest car we’ve ever seen!”

And suddenly all was right in the world again.

7 Likes

Sometimes members post something offensive and don’t even realize it.

Apparently, I missed the offensive bit…?

2 Likes

Yeah, so did the author.

Take a breath Carlo…

Great color on your E-Type Bill. It sure is a beautiful specimen.

4 Likes

Yeah, me too. …

3 Likes

Oh, you’ll hear’em all!

Can’t see the offensive bit either but this can save on a few common questions :

3 Likes

Very cool! How did you do judging-wise?

It wasn’t a judged show this year.
It was full of muscle cars and hot rods.
I think they were only two jaguars there.
I wouldn’t have stood a chance.

I would LOVE that shirt!!! Where did you get it???

You might be surprised. I won best of show on a 30 year old restoration among 350 muscle cars, trucks, motorcycles and resto mod hot rods at just such a concours in 2019, shortly before covid hit.

3 Likes

LOOOOOVE the COE Jimmy!!!

2 Likes

Yeah, that truck was my favorite of the entire field. It had wood side rails with Indian motorcycle signs on it. I thought it would win something. It was so freaking cool.

Like the comments on BaT, where people say things like “Too bad you’ll have to spend your life explaining X, Y, or Z”

In 7 years of owning my “fake” GT350, I’ve never once had anyone ask “Is it real?”…95% of people don’t give it a second glance, 3% fit into the “nice car” category, 1.9% fit into the “nice Mustang” category, and 0.1% know it’s fake, and don’t have to ask.

1 Like

I think it was the reference to the occupants of the Cherokee.

When I owned a Morgan Plus 8 the most common comment was “it’s got a wooden chassis mate”. I got fed up telling them it has a steel chassis but a wooded frame. In the end I just politely nodded and smiled, at least the observer walked away thinking he/she knew something about classic cars.

2 Likes

Much like a guy explaining to his GF how the Daimler SP250 body used to rust down the A pillar.