Carpet Fitting ; Clutch & Brake

Fitting the carpets up and going to use Velcro to fasten…and I come the the firewall carpet behind the pedals.

So on this picture I have highlighted where I think I need to cut for the brake and clutch. As one can see the throttle and high beam are catered for.

Strikes me as odd that the new carpet and edge trimming needs cutting like this - am I missing something (the kit from a known UK supplier) ??

Why not remove the pedals and poke holes only for the shafts?
It would look much better that way, and it’s fairly easy to remove and reinstall the pedals.

1 Like

Yes, 1/2" round holes was how it was done on my original Mark V carpeting.

Brendan:

The kit that I purchased some years ago (LHD car, well known interior supplier) had the accelerator edged cutout and that was it. I did as Daniel suggested and simply cut holes for the pedal shafts. OK, they are not edged but hey…

Chris.

As I read this I wonder how the bellows on the pedals go. This would suggest that they project to the engine bay side 140OTS LHd. I was about to install mine facing in until I saw this. I have no idea what kit I might use so I hadn’t planned for how the carpet might be set for that. So - the bellows goes toward the engine side? Are they usually secured with adhesive?

Art:

The rubber draft extruding bellows go on the fire wall side so that when the pedal is ‘normal’ the cup closes off the hole. Of course, while driving and braking the odd insect finds it’s way past into the interior, so not as efficient as modern vehicles! I found that the bellows simply press onto the pedal shaft, in fact I think I had to use a little silicone lubricant to get them into position which I then wiped off after fitment. They don’t move once in position.

Chris.

1 Like

most if not all the carpet and trim kits that are purchased are basically wrong or incorrect due to manufacturers not bothering to do any research or thinking they can make them better than they were originally

Thanks Daniel and others

yes removing the pedals was the way. Needed to extract assistance from the house to help refit them. Got drivers side carpets and seat fitted.
Then went for a little spin after refitting throttle linkage that I must have knocked off playing with pedals.

Passenger seat tomorrow and set for a summer driving I hope.

1 Like

Wasn’t there a felt disc that fit into the pedal shafts, between the carpet and inside face of the firewall?

Mine had thick jute padding which would accomplish the same thing.