Cassette Issue (1990 XJ6 Radio)

The cassette player in my OEM 1990 XJ6 radio will accept/reject the cassette perfectly, but the cassette motor will run maybe 5 seconds and stop. I took off the belts, and the motor does the same. Would anyone know why the motor will not run continuously when the cassette is inserted? The cassette turns easily by hand.

Thnx.

Richard

Being as how you have the unit opened up can you apply a slight bit of light weight oil (such as 3-in-1) to the motor shaft/bushings? Mayhaps 'tis gummed up with 30 years of lint, dust, cat hair, etc.

Hi Richard, seeing as you have the unit opened up is it possible to slowly insert a tape so you can watch the mechanism that makes the motor start when a tape is inserted ? I’ve never looked inside the tape deck in my car but most cassette players that I have had apart have a clutch mechanism that tightens up as you approach the end of the tape when on FF or rewind to prevent the tape snapping, maybe this part has somehow jammed in the ‘end of tape’ position and is signaling the motor to stop.

Hey Richard …

Heck, why not just get rid of that old dinosaur that plays cassettes and upgrade to this …

These tips apply to any tape machine…

Ive tinkered with many a cassette and reel to reel… you say you took the belts OFF and the motor just stopped?
1__ some units have sense capability and if the takeup spindle is not moving the tape motor will normally stop… … get that tape a moving!
You have to test with belts on… but before you do that make sure the motor 2 tape reels capstan flywheel if any–usually part of the capstan and pinch roller all turn freely and minimally lube them a needle type oiler is best so as not to make a mess…
are belts clean and have tension?
are belts many are square… orientated in the grooved pulley correct or twisted?
make sure the capstan surface is clean if unsure polish with say 600 grit sandpaper…
make sure the pinch roller has smooth surface and is clean and still soft and pliant. this can be cleaned with alcohol use alcohol and clean the heads and tape guides too…

Anyway back to the motor… put tape in (I assume you have unit out)… watch it load… then both SUPPLY and TAKEUP spindles should at same time move… if not… that is why the motor turns off
Reasons for tape not moving: _____
drive belts too lose
rubber idler wheel (many don’t have this–same problems as rubber pinch roller)
bad pinch roller
hardened pinch roller rubber
bad surface on capstan
take up reel slip clutch (don’t lube a clutch) slipping too much
supply reel not free to rotate causing too much back drag on tape path and slowing down and or stopping forward tape movement

Good luck
Brad
89 XJ6 2 tone