Catalyst EGR warning lamp on 75 XJ6

I own an 88 XJS, and I’m considering purchasing a 75 XJ6. These things are addicting. I have not seen the car personally, but the seller sent a photo of the dash. I’m curious about the Catalyst / EGR warning lamp. I have not seen this on a lot of other series II cars and it seems to be from federal spec XJ6 and XJ12 cars from that time period. I also noticed the ignition light is still illuminated - on the XJS that could indicate insufficient speed to charge the battery, and either the engine was just started or the water temp gauge is faulty.

Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge about the catalyst / EGR warning lamp? None of this is a deal breaker for me, but I’m curious about it and would like to know a little more before I discuss it with the seller. The XJS owner’s manual I have access to from a similar time has no information other then the light exists and has a replacement bulb.

Thanks,

Justin

That pic shows the car is idling at 600rpm. That is a bit low. It’s easily adjusted but the low idle could cause the ignition light to be glowing. I suspect the temperature gauge is showing cold because the car has just been fired up for this photo.

The catalyst/EGR lamp on my fuel injected 1978 is connected to a device atop the engine that looks like a block of white plastic and every 25000 miles it should turn on the light to remind me to service the O2 sensor in the exhaust.

Hope that helps.

David

1 Like