Catalytic converter removal

I have an exhaust leak near the cc, I have no power but it starts and idles fine. I think my cc may have disintegrated, is there an easy way to clear it or remove it? 1989 xj 40

tamperinganddefeatdevices-enfalert.pdf (583.9 KB)

I removed all the Cats on my ‘92 car, the ones in the down pipes and the under car ones, I had a chance to have the car emissions tested (not required here in NZ at present) and the car wold have passed our limits even without them.

how did you do it? Difficult or no? I am thinking of shoving an electrical snake up the exhaust.

Its a 40 year old car, do you think anybody gives a darn?

I had a Midas shop at the time so it was done on a hoist.

Gentleman …

OK here’s my humble opinion … If you’ve managed to keep your beautiful Jaguar (that’s over 3 decades + old) running and driving safely you have certainly earned the right to delete any government mandated pollution control devices that … A. Are no longer available from Jaguar so you’re forced to use some after market setup … And …

B. Because the impact on the environment of the minute numbers involved is literally zero (read Robin’s above post) then I think it’s only right … why have so many states in the USA completely eliminated the pollution control test ?

I’m a big fan of Formula 1 racing which is a global event, and to a little lesser extent NASCAR (think beauty and the beasts :cowboy_hat_face:) and they don’t talk much about catalytic converters.

I’m often confused by add on emissions devices, in this case Catalytic Converters.
As the name implies they don’t remove the gasses, they convert them into something else…Co2.
in addition they use engine power and require excess fuelling to make them function, thus more fuel is burned so they create more Co2.

Isn’t Co2 meant to be the heinous gas creating “climate change”, we should all be avoiding making?

I’m not against cleaner exhaust emissions, but do think we have gone down the route of creating more of a problem than was originally there and have to keep finding new pollutants to be aware of.
If Co2 is the biggest issue known to mankind then surely making the best use of every drop of fuel would be the correct way to go.
Similarly, diesels have gone from being the most efficient engine type on earth to being strangled to death with emissions devices.
As a result, We are now chasing emissions that are immaterial, but creating a detrimental impact on Co2.

I think efficiency would have been the correct way to proceed.

Back to gutting the Cat, remove it from the exhaust and smash the labyrinth out, or weld in a straight pipe and weigh the old Cats in to gain some funding.

1 Like

topic seams to have gone astray, I am wondering the difficulty in doing it? Couple of easy remove bolts? from the top, bottom? Etc.

David … OK getting back on topic … :woozy_face:

The catalytic converter is attached to the forward and rear exhaust header with two bolts each that are reasonably accessible using long drive extensions. Of course with all things on a car that’s over 30 years old (especially exhaust components) getting them loose may be a bit of a chore. You DO NOT won’t to shear one of those bolts off because now you’ll have to remove that header to get it out and those bolts may also give you trouble. I’d recommend using several applications of penetrating fluid in-between heat cycles of the exhaust before your start.

When I replaced my CAT I did all the work from under the car. I didn’t eliminate it out of fear of possibly confusing the computer. It’s been a few years now but I do remember I could never find out anywhere if that would be a problem so better safe than sorry.

1 Like

I did some searching on the web and it looks like my best option is to disconnect the cc after it and ram it to clear it, thoughts?

That’s the easiest way then you do not have the problem of replacement pipe work. Just be aware that there are small cats in the down pipes I believe.

1 Like

There are indeed. Two of them, one in each down pipe before the exhaust merges into one pipe, just before of the O2 sensor.

Well it always helps to start with the basics, for some reason 4 out of 6 plugs were under water, don’t know how but new plugs and cleaning of the holes and I have power back!

1 Like

unfortunately when I ran the car to check the a/c, the converter was glowing red hot! I guess I need to remove it and clear it.

How did you get the rear nut off? I can barely see it and can’t get 2 hands in there.