Category: Braver than I am

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/07/19/second-built-samba-discovered-in-a-field-to-undergo-restoration/?refer=news#comments-block

I am going to keep this job in mind when I feel overwhelmed by my Jag

That left rear taillight looks to be salvageable.

Really, good to see one so old getting saved - but, yeah, a major project for sure.

Only a ten year resto?

That is NOT a “restoration”. It is building a replica. It’s ridiculous. When done, that thing will contain less than 10% of the parts it left the factory with. And it will, without doubt, end up FAR straighter, shinier, and better assembled than when it left the factory. NOT a “restoration” by any reasonable definition of the word.

Regards,
Ray L.

Talkin about this:

Jut watched the video and they have changed the description to ‘recreation’ rather than restoration. The vid is in German but the sight of all the parts is scary to say the least!

I would think waaaaaaaaay under 10%.
LLoyd

The same is happening with E-types. They were a liability in the early '70s and the oil embargo (google it) when you could barely give one away, especially if it had a bad clutch. Now hopeless cases are being ressurected and sold for big bucks on eBay. Bravery for as long as it lasts.