CAUTION plate for heater

we all knew there were the 2 types of plates, brass and aluminum but sorting through what I had to fit a couple to car I find there are 2 versions of the brass plate.
The top two are brass but the second one down has the larger spacing between system and under as per ally plate. The other variation is the top plate has smaller radius corners.
It is interesting how the brass plates have “CAUTION” in red words in black and the ally plate is exact opposite

Here’s mine on 679187 from Nov '51.

Of academic interest here is the fact that the same basic heater design used vertically in a Mark V is impossible to fill unless you open the bleeder valve at the top and let the air out.

Or how about no plate at all. I see no evidence my heater box ever had one on it. Of course the heater was still an extra option when my car was built. Were these only installed once the heater became standard, or if earlier, then are there any early cars optioned with the heater that has one of these plates.
Jim

I don’t remember taking one off my car when dismantling - were they fitted to 140s too? Mine is a '55 DHC.

Roger,

It should have the “CAUTION” plate. See here the original plate on my 1955 XK 140 FHC.

Bob K.

Thanks Bob - I’d better check through the bags again!

Here you go…this is what the plate on my ‘56 DHC looks like.

It has been attached crooked, and the word CAUTION has both red and black paint.

Does anybody know if the plate was originally pop-rivetted or did they use screws?
Chris

Xk120 140 small 4 gauge round head slotted self tappers

1 Like