Cavitation Erosion On Wet Sleeves

Apparently this is not an uncommon problem in diesel engines. Would it be anything to worry about on our Jag V12?

The liner in the photo appears to be sealed with rubber O-rings. The claim is that this cavitation erosion appears in line with the thrust faces of the pistons, which would seem to imply that the liner is shaking side to side with piston strokes, possibly within a liner that is free to move side to side a little bit within an O-ringed joint. Perhaps the side to side shaking is what’s causing the cavitation.

I don’t believe the Jaguar V12 is in the same boat. There are no O-rings; the liner is firmly mounted by being compressed between the head gasket and the ledge inside the block. The skirt hangs downward from there, but presumably there isn’t enough side to side load to actually bend it enough to cause cavitation.

Whatever, I’ve been on here a few decades now and have never heard of any cavitation issues on the Jaguar V12 liners, so one way or another it doesn’t seem to be a problem.

1 Like

Read the article.

Yeah, not an issue with Jag engines. The liners with the problem are vibrating within the coolant.

Jag (as far as I know) has chosen a solid fit system that can not vibrate.

I have seen Rolls engines that use wet liners.

1 Like

Jaguar: tougher than a Mack truck.

1 Like