CD cassette will not eject

Hi there!

A few months ago, I started getting an ERR-01 message on my CD player when I tried to play a CD. My solution was to go to the trunk, eject the CD cassette, smack it “smartly” on the palm of my hand and put it back in the player. This worked up until now. Now the ERR-01 message is on, but the CD cassette will not eject. When I press the eject button I can see the cassette trying to insert the CD into the player, apparently unsuccessfully. After a few tries it quits.
Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Michael

The best thing to do here is remove the CD player, take the cover off manually remove the cd and then clean and make sure the mechanism is free and working correctly.
Also ensure the cd’s are sat correctly in their trays and the trays are fitted in the cartridge correctly.

Jim

Hi Jim!

Thank you very much for your reply.

I was guessing that your suggestion would be the likely solution. Now
that you have confirmed it, I have no excuse but to get to work! :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Michael
Quoting James W Smithurst noreply@jag-lovers.com:

You’re welcome Michael, just hope it helps.

Jim

Michael,
To remove the cassette disk…disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds…Then reconnect and the disk will pop-out…Do not use CD’s that you have recorded…Always use those you paid 10 bucks for at the store…For some reason they don’t get stuck…

Billy Clyde

Hi Billy Clyde!

Thank you for your interest in my CD player problem.
I had just removed the player, pried the CD carousel out, and
reinstalled the player in the trunk when I received your email. After
plugging in the harness that goes into the rear of the player, but
before plugging in the harness that goes into the side, I pressed the
eject button several times and the now empty carousel ejected each
time. I then confidently installed the unit in its frame and plugged
in the side harness.
Upon pressing the eject button, the carousel would not eject and went
through the same routine as it had before! It acts like it is trying
to insert a CD into the player. This time, it had none to insert, but
tried anyway for about five seconds.
Upon receiving your suggestion and hoping against hope, I disconnected
the battery for about a minute or so and tried ejecting the carousel
again, with the same negative results. I then went into the house and
opened a bottle of wine.
Today is another day. At least I have plenty of old cassets I can
listen to. :slight_smile:
Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Michael
Quoting Billy Clyde Price noreply@jag-lovers.com:

Big Mike,

I hope the wine was good! Sometimes that’s the best place to start when working on a Jag……They are different even though they are a Ford! Obviously, there is something wrong with the Player, take it to a good Sound Shop and I’m sure they can repair it……The main thing I was told by the Sound Shop Guy was do not use CD’s that you recorded….only use the ones you buy in the Jewel Box……it has something to do with the thickness of the CD. I’ve not had a problem since loading the Mag with 6 regular CD’s….that was 2 years ago….Since then I’ve been to Chicken to try the ones that I recorded, so I threw them all away.

I’m currently driving my 4th XK Coupe….I couldn’t keep them back in the early 2000’s……Had a 98 Topaz XK Coupe and this Guy chased me down and offered me 8 grand more than the going price for it….His Wife liked it! Then I found a 2000 Black XKR in NY with 8600 miles on it on ebay ….I bought it from a Doctor who seldom drove it and the same thing happened….but this time it was a lady that chased me down……sold it for $38,000.00 and found a 2003 Black & Beige Coupe in Chicago with 32,0000 on it. Before I could have another person chase me down to buy it, this Lady T-Boned me an totaled it….Sad day, as it had everything on it…Loved it! Now I have another XKR Black and Ivory 2005. I’ve turned down 4 offers since I got it and plan to keep it as I’m not too hot on the newer ones. I’ve had it for 7 years now and have made several upgrades to it….Spent way too much money on it but on the dyno it has 489 HP and 505 lbs. of torque…….Nor bad for 256 Cubic Inches……My 2nd Car was a 56 Chevy 210 Del Ray Coupe with a Corvette motor. It had 265 Cubic Inches with (2) 4 Barrels…a total of 220 HP from the factory and back then, it would run! The 05 Jaguar would have put the Chevvy to bed……I have had more fun in the XKR than most people can ever imagine!

Good luck to you, Big-Mike! Hope you get that CD Player repaired…………Incidentally, taking one of the Battery cables lose works every time, so the CD Player needs repair….

Billy Clyde

Bcprice36@comcast.net

Hi Billy Clyde!

Thank you for getting back to me!

Now that I am an “expert” at removing these things, I will follow your
advice and take the player out to be repaired. I AM enjoying all my
old music on the cassettes, though. :slight_smile:

This is our first XK8 coupe and we must be having some fun with it. We
have put 60K miles on it in four years. It’s black on black and just
gorgeous. I share your lack of enthusiasm for the later models. Ours
is getting a little long in the tooth and we are looking for another
one. I’m thinking '04 or '05.

I’ll let you know what I find out about the player.

Thanks again for your input.

Michael
Quoting Billy Clyde Price noreply@jag-lovers.com:

Big-Mike,

If you trade for another XK get an R….go ahead and get either a 05 or 06 as they are identical. Find a Black on Black or Black on Beige with Montreal wheels……They have a great grill and front-end design and don’t have the metal strip down the side. Instead, they have a ground-effects side skirts down beneath the door….I think they look more like an Aston/Martin because of it. Plus Jaguar has pretty much worked out all the bugs in those last 2 years…… Mine is Black & Ivory with Montreal Wheels and Red Brake Calipers. The Ivory gets dirty easily….

Keep looking on the internet…You will find one!

Good Luck!

BCP

Mine did that until I replaced the battery.

Hi William!

Thank you for your response!

The battery in my car was not new when I bought the car four years
ago. I have since put 60K miles on the car. It is probably safe to
assume that I need a new battery, whether it solves my CD cassette
issue or not. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Michael

Mine had 61,500miles and had the original Jaguar battery. Changed it out even though it seemed ok and the unit popped out and has worked well since I hope yours is as simple.

You could test that theory by putting a booster pack on and seeing if the cassette will eject at that time.

Hi Grahame!

I have always heard that I should not charge the battery while it was
connected to the car’s electrical system. Would I not be running a
risk of frying some other electrical component if I tried a booster
pack?

Thanks for your input.

Michael
Quoting Grahame Loader noreply@jag-lovers.com:

I have not heard that and it has never bothered my cars by being started with a boost. I’ve used a boost pack before and I just thought that, if you had access to one, it would be a cost-free way of checking, before throwing money at a new battery. I just don’t like throwing money and parts at a problem until something works.

Hi Grahame!

I’m not entirely clear what a “boost pack” is. My cautionary tale was
in reference to a battery charger.
I share your lack of enthusiasm for wasting money. :slight_smile:
Michael

A booster pack is a high tech battery with alligator leads that will store enough energy to boost start a car. The industrial sized ones are about the size of a bowling ball bag and will boost a car multiple times while they have come up with ones small enough to keep in your glove box. You could do the same things with a battery and booster cables.

Hi Grahame!

Thanks for clearing that up. I will try the battery and booster cables.

Michael