CD player problem

Recently got a 2001 xk8. loaded 6 cd’s in magazine, but radio unit reads - loading, then, no cd. i tried washing out magazine and putting a dab of lubricant on “dimple” on each tray, trays seem a bit hard to pull out. do I buy a new $60 magazine or can anyone offer suggestions.

Congrats on the new car. Hope you are enjoying it otherwise.

Was the player working before, or is this the first time you tried it? There is only a one wire power connection, so if the player deck has power, then the problem is in the deck. All the control functions go through a fiber optic cable to the head. You’ll know the deck has power because you’ll hear the motor run when inserting and ejecting the cartridge.

I’d suggest getting a can of compressed air from a camera store and trying to blow any dust off contacts through the magazine opening.

I don’t think the magazine is the problem; but for that price, having a spare magazine, pre-loaded, on a road trip would be handy.

Thanks the reply. It was the first time to try. The unit seems to have power as I can see some movement inside as it searches for the disk on the magazine. There must be some internal mechanism malfunctioning. I’ll see about getting it checked out by a local car stereo shop.
Carl K

Let us know what you find as it might be beneficial for others.

OK, I will. Tried your recommendations, but still didn’t work. I just finished taking the unit out. What a job. There was no access to the 4 screws holding the unit and I wound up using long nosed clamping pliers. Will look for cap headed screws tomorrow so I can at least use a small wrench.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

I’m surprised you took the unit out and didn’t just take it to an auto sound shop. Anyway, did you find out what the problem was?

I’m still working on the problem, I did take the unit to a local auto sound business and after checking I got a quote of $367.00. Subsequently, I found a refurbished one on line for $145. It came and I installed it. Unfortunately after about 10 minutes I got the same “NO DISK” readout on my radio screen. Have been in contact with the company and they will check it out for me. I’ll ship it off tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed. BTW the wife thinks I’m obsessed and says that we don’t really need a CD player.
CK

JGL2 Grahame Loader
March 4 |

I’m surprised you took the unit out and didn’t just take it to an auto sound shop. Anyway, did you find out what the problem was? Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

PRRRII carl kauffman
February 24 |

OK, I will. Tried your recommendations, but still didn’t work. I just finished taking the unit out. What a job. There was no access to the 4 screws holding the unit and I wound up using long nosed clamping pliers. Will look for cap headed screws tomorrow so I can at least use a small wrench. Sent f… Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

A working CD is great for a road trip. Load the cassette with your favorite music and enjoy. Plus, I like to have everything work on my cars.

Hi Carl; I agree with Grahame. My '99 XK8 would load the disc but would skip around on the cd. I took it to two car stereo stores and was told the mechanism was warn so I purchased one from Amazon. They are not that expensive. It works fine. I have the old one if anyone wants to see if they can repair it. No cost, just shipping
Regards
Mitch

Hi Carl !
This is a well known problem. I had this also. Here is a cd changer repair instruction that works fine for me and many others. And if the problem one time will occur again, do it again. Don’t be worried because it is a Mercedes Benz cd changer, it’s the same as in your XK. Sorry but i can’t upload a pdf as new user. If someone is interested in the repair instruction you can drop your email adress.
Cheers Wolfgang

Yes, I would appreciate having some instructions. If you will send to c.kauffman@att.net I will try and see if that fixes my problem. Carl

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

I have sent it to your adress.
Cheers !

Carl,
If you get the instruction data from Pipowicz would you post it here for the rest to see?
I found a source in China to supply the whole CD player mechanism in the Bose system for my 2004 GMC pickup. It has worked like new for last 8 months. I suspect they may have one for most players at what I thought was a reasonable price. A little fiddly to change but so rewarding in the end.
My XJ6 unit in the trunk may need the same fix, but waiting for a few other wifey projects to be completed before starting this one.
Ken

Found another possibility:

Cheers Wolfgang

I found that I didn’t have the “gap” problem, but in taking the thing apart it allowed me to dab a bit of lithium on all the gears. I did use the old fashioned remedy on tapping on the small motor that drove the worm gear with the handle of a screwdriver and now the unit works. Nothing like “hit it with a hammer” to fix anything not working. :wink:

Kauffman

That is exactly what i did. I also didn’t have a visible gap. But a little bit working in that area also helped me. After one year the problem occured again and the same remedy helped again. Nice to hear, that it worked for you.
Cheers Wolfgang

The laser is bad. I have gone through this with a number of the CD changers in my other Jaguars of the late 80’s early 90’s vintage. There is a fellow, I believe it is Willman’s Electronics, he is in Garland Texas online at willmanselectronics.com that replaces the entire head unit. I’ve had three done and all work great.

Oh yeah, at the time it cost $ 270.00