Center air vent duct modification

Nicely done, Paul. I see you don’t like “T” handle shifters, too, unless your car came that way. Dave.

I think the fan is more efficient with the centre/non directional portion blanked off.

1 Like

Baxtor,

I thought about that, and blanked off the center section of the vent for a few years, but the small outer vents don’t allow much air to be moved.  I believe that any fan is more efficient in moving air when it is not obstructed.   That said, if you are pleased with your approach then that is all that is important.  

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas

1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Dave,

My wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible is a Classic Collection model with the upgraded trim package that included the leather wrapped shifter knob instead of the plastic “T” handle, contrasting piping on the seats to match the color of the car, a gold “Growler” badge on the bonnet, Bird’s Eye Elm interior wood trim, the “Classic Collection” badge on the boot, and a few more trim items that I can’t recall right now. The attached pictures show the original leather wrapped knob, the leather and wood knobs side by side when I swapped the original one out in 2006, and how the car looks today with the wood shifter knob, the professionally restored wood and the XJ40 fascia air vent installed.

I got the shifter knob from Saul Chaplin at British Autowood in Florida and liked it so much that I sent all the interior wood to him to restore. I have some of it already installed, but I an still working on the interior so some of it remains in boxes for when I am ready to do that work. I am very pleased with all of the wood from British Autowood. I have no affiliation with Saul Chaplin or British Autowood other than as a satisfied customer.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas
1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible
1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1969 E-Type FHC
1957 MK VIII Saloon
Ramona, CA USA

1 Like

So, after a million different ideas, I decided on this. The button to far left is overdrive(yes I’m getting an overdrive Wednesday.) the warning lights are “Overdrive engaged” and Overdrive Off, middle toggle is electronic parking brake. , button to the right is cruise control engage. The top warning light is “Parking Brake On” the bottom is a secret that I look forward to sharing very soon.

1 Like

does it involve a flux capacitor?

1 Like

Something better Marty

Where did you source the warning lights?

Thanks
Doug

Doug, they are custom made original style for Boeing aircraft switches since I am trying to bring the aircraft element to the xjs.

Thanks

Many years ago there was an automotive vendor selling warning lamps that looked the same. I’ve tried finding them recently with no luck.

Cheers
DD

1 Like