Center Console: refitting

Is there some trick to getting the center console back on the tunnel…while getting the handbrake through the slot and the console over the gear shift lever ??

It was bad enough taking it off 14 months ago…and I don’t remember how I wedged that sucker off.

Let me know before I take out my chain saw and sledge hammer…

Thanks,

Harold

1965 S1 4.2L OTS

It depends to some degree on the car, but on mine the trick is to move the stick forward into first and pull it back into neutral as it slips into place. Getting the bulb of the handle through requires some side to side angling. My brake handle is of course engaged to angle it up.

I’ve found the key thing is to get the handbrake lever pulled back as far as possible. I recall, however, after installing a new cable that I had to disconnect it at the rear to get the lever up sufficiently to clear the console, then reconnect it once the job was done. A bit of a PITA but it’s not a job you need to do often.

I always remove the front mounting screws on the E-brake ass’y and the top rear one too. That allows the E-brake handle to be lifted up almost vertically. Still have to tilt it to get the top of the E-brake handle to slide through the opening, but it’s so much easier when the handle is further up out of the way of the instrument panel and gear shift lever.

Nice workaround there!

That is how I do mine. Handbrake in the ‘upright & locked position’:

Same here, and I have to really tug on the lever to get it just high enough to allow the lever to slide into the slot.

Thanks for the info, guys. I was able to get that handbrake pulled up a few more notches…and along with going thru the gears with the shift stick (knob off), was able to “negotiate” a soft landing.
But one of the biggest helps was in bending the two tabs at the end of the console. Instead of them getting in the way, I bent them inwards, making the console shorter. This allowed for more room to maneuver that bad boy…and voila ! Gently returned them to shape once the console was down…and put in the bolts on both sides.
Done !
Best,
Harold

Are you referring 2 metal tabs that are about ½" long projecting from the forward end of the ‘ski slope’? My recollection is that those are bent down & around to secure the wood sheet to the metal body of the console.

Or maybe you mean something else?

Nope. These are at the back end of the console ( towards rear of car ). They are about 2 inches long, about an inch high, covered in the same console material.