Change one ignition coil or all?

Should all coils be replaced or is one fine as needed?
Does it make a difference? If it’s not bad I cannot justify changing or is there something I should know ?
Thanks!

Anecdotal evidence is that if you change one you start to chase the others. Bite the bullet and do all at the sme time.

1 Like

I would base it on the life expectancy of the coils. If the mileage is at the point where you would expect the coils to start failing, then change all. If one coil fails when it is unexpected, then just change that one. My mechanic says that Jaguar coils are terrible, but Jaguar is the only source.

1 Like

Well I had just got done changing the alternator and I degreased and lightly washed engine knowing full well that was a crap shoot. And sure enough, it happened after that. I went away for 2 weeks and came back with same issue. (Restricted driving-one says misfire cyl 8) So I will start with the one ignition coil and plug and see how it goes.

I just decided to change all the coils to new even though it’s quite a bit more. one more question though ,

My coil covers are not sealing properly so I was going to add some gasket sealer when I go to put it on has anyone else ever done this to stop water from entering ???

And last Mechanic did not put half of the screws back on which is another reason why all Jaguar owners should work on their own car

All changed. All seems much better