Change the inlet manifold from MkX to fit the e type

Yes Robert, when I was looking at the inlet manifold, yesterday, I had the same idea, because the angle is just right when keep it upside down, but then you have welding the water inlets again.
So that’s an option, too, don’t have to cut out a large piece and then bent it to the right angle, if possible.
Thanks.
Frank.

Norman, I had no other picture, this is or was my other engine which I had to sell. The 3.4L XJ6 from 1975. I restored this engine, took me about halve a year. New piston, valve’s, seats, followers, bearings, chains, oil and waterpump, etc.
This was the little pain.
Sending other picture, to morrow.

1 Like

A few decades ago, when I didn’t have the money for a correct E-type triple carb intake, I made a MkX manifold work by building ‘adapters’ for the carbs that lowered them about an inch. They were basically rectangular boxes that were about an inch and a half ‘thick’, and about 3 inches wide, and long enough to put a 2 inch hole on the back, and another on the other side, about an inch or inch and a half lower. I then put the mounting ‘through’ holes in to attach/sandwich them between the manifold and carb. They worked perfectly till I could finally afford a proper E-type manifold.

Like hen’s teeth-rare.

Yes indeed kassaq, to afford a proper E type manifold, that’s all about, they costs a lot of money.
But selling a Mark X manifold is also difficult, no one wants them.
So I will trying to fix this.

[quote=“Wiggles, post:15, topic:384030”]

There’s no way to change the angle of the float bowls on the HD8s used in the E-type. They are secured to the bottom of the carb throttle body through the jet assembly by four machine screws.

Originals are rare but repros are readily available. This is the least expensive option of a few, just under $800, requiring the purchaser to do his own polishing.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/English/parts/e61b47d1-94cd-4da5-be24-409cedfc6886

2 Likes

Precise Nick, the HD

8 cannot be changed the petrol bowls, so I will use the HS8 from the XJ. You can adjust the float bowls a little.

Norman, here are some picture’s I was taking today and my new old 3.8L engine from 1962. S3010606|666x500

I’m not familiar with the HS8s. Those who have converted HD8s from the MkX for use in the E-type have had to deal with a number of compatibility issues, including a simple fix to shorten the damper tubes on top of the bells and a not-so-simple adaptation of the choke mechanism.

Nick, yes the top of bells are an issue, but I bought two SU’s who had already the lower bells, so I only top of one SU carb already. Two perfect carbs I did some powercoating on them, really nice.
I also bought two SU HS8 with choke mechanism. AUD 3185, searching for only one of them.
Thanks again for your picture, it did hep me a lot.

I was unaware there are repops: $800 seems fair, for the 4.2 style.

To be clearer, I was referencing the three, individual manifolds of the 3.8.

“IT’S DONE”,

2 X “IT’S DONE”,
Frank

Well Paul, overhere it’s double this price, so why not fix it for less money.
Frank.