Changing colour of vinyl door cards and armrests

I have been reading up on this and think I will try to change the Biscuit door fittings that I have in my pile of spares to Doeskin (AEE) and then fit them to my car. I am doing this because a so-called restorer, several years ago, fitted my car with door cards of a non matching vinyl.

I realize the surface preparation is critical but I’d like to spray on the final colour coat rather than brush it. I can’t seem to find a source for AEE in a spray can. Any suggestions?

Other advice on the whole process would also be welcome. Thanks

David

David,
I have re-dyed both leather and vinyl interior items using an air brush powered by my shop air compressor. I used liquid dyes from Leatherique and Surflex in the colors of Doeskin, Magnolia, and Black depending on what part and which car. When I first tried re-dying items about 10 years ago I used a foam brush but I much prefer the control and final look after using the air brush. I have no idea where in the world you live but if you live in the USA head over to Harbor Freight and pick up one of their air brushes. You should also check.out the Leatherique website and search the Jag-Lovers archives for “Leatherique”. There are other products out there but I have only.used Leatherique and Surflex.

Paul

2 Likes

In the town I used to live was an automotive paint store. They’d match any color sample you brought it and mix dye or paint to suit and, on request, put it in a aerosol can. Vinyl dyes were no problem. They’d even add a flattening agent to give you the amount of gloss (or lack thereof) that you preferred.

So, if you have an automotive paint store nearby, give 'em a try

Cheers
DD

1 Like

+1 on the air brush, Paul.

Makes all the difference in the world when re-dying trim

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Thanks, Paul. I already own an airbrush for my other hobby! I’ll see about ordering the vinyl paint.

David

I have an airbrush already but may see if I can get an aerosol made up anyway. Thanks, Doug.

David

Might consider a nice used set in the desired color from David Boger of everydayxj.

But, vinyl dye does work. Decades ago, I dyed the awful green in our 71 Hornet. Blck much more elegant with it’s yellow color. Hornewt in name only. Rambler in the real world. but, a more than decent little coupe. A descendant of it’s OHV six thrives in my 94 Jeep.

Carl

LOL, Carl. The Biscuit set I have as spares andxwant to recolour came from David Boger!

David

Gee, one step behind. I am slowing down !!!

Carl