Changing oil for before winter

Hi. I have a 95 Celebration with an AJ16 4litre engine.
Im about to change the oil and filter plus all other fluids as it is due anyway but also because the car is not going to get much use in the winter. I live in England. Northern England!
What is the best type, grade, make of oil for this wonderful engine.
Its pretty high mileage at 145,000 miles.
Cheers.
Richard.

Stick with the manufacturers recommended oil, but at 145,000 miles (232,000Klms) there’s a lot of use left in the engine, my brother has just sold his X300 1996 at 340,000Klms and still going strong, he just upgraded to a XJ8, 3.2

This should answer your question.

I stick to the manufactures viscosity/temp chart provided by Robin is always recommended. The only deviation I make when dealing with viscosity is the age of the engine, and the amount of oil pressure or lack there of. My clapped out XJ6 idled at 25psi the PO ran 10/30 what ever was cheap. I switched to synthetic 15/40 and the oil pressure immediately bumped up to 40psi at an idle and 55psi when driving. Then the head gasket gave out; and I’ve got a host of issues going on now - non of them good

My classic Jaguar engine builder friend (who worked as an engine builder at Jaguar) uses
Morris Lubricants of Shrewsbury’s 20W/50 Classic engine oil on fresh engines.

My Jaguar mechanic here in the states (when I hire one) recommends 20/50 Castrol which I ran religiously for the first 18 years I owned my first Jaguar XJS. recently I switched to synthetic Royal Purple 20/50 in the XJS and 15/40 royal purple in the XK6 XJ’s

I’ve been very pleased with the synthetic; the engine didn’t rattle as much, and oil consumption when down as well. the higher viscosity protects the bearing surfaces because the surface tension of the higher viscosity (number) oil doesn’t squish out the sides of the mating surfaces as easily.

Hi and thank you for the information. Its all very helpful. Cheers. Richard.