Changing the xk camshafts serie 1 for the noise

Short wave, Steve, although I have a lot cassettes lying around the house from my daughter. This radio is from my second wife, who was leaving me, but still my daughter was living with me. Strange days !

Hi Kassaq, having the new cams yesterday and tried to adjust the distance between the cam and followers, the inlet was no problem, but the exhaust had to be the small shims.
Searching for the followers, I fund some long one’s and short ones, can you tell me what is better to install?
Frank.

Hi Frank,
While I am not an authority on the matter (Dick Maury would be your guy), I suspect the longer ones simply have a longer ‘skirt’ to them, giving them more resistance to ‘rocking’ in the guide. If your guides are in good shape and your long ones fit well, I would go with them.

1 Like

Hi kassaq, yes I check them for “rocking”, had fund older short ones, but they were rocking, indeed, so I finished the head with good followers without play.
Fitting the new camshafts, the inlet was no problem to make them 030 mm, but the exhaust was difficult to get the 035mm, I had to use two shims for the minimum, although the exhaust valve looked alright and the seats, too.
Strange I had to adjust two shims to 2,20 and 2.25.
Frank.

Frank,

Though I mentioned it in post#7 earlier in this thread, you seem to have made the same error as many others before you. On the parabolic profile cams the clearance spec is specified as a RANGE 0.012"-0.014" (0.305mm-0.356mm) for BOTH intake and exhaust. It is NOT 0.012 for intake, and 0.014 for exhaust. This is unlike the earlier 0.004/0.006" cams which were 0.004" intake, and 0.006" exhaust. If you have set your intakes to 0.30mm and exhausts to 0.35mm you have still met the spec, so don’t worry. I mention it because future readers of this thread may get confused, as so many have before them… Good luck.

-David

1 Like

Frank do I read your post correctly that you have stacked two shims together? That would be a big no no.

1 Like

Hi Frank…Have i read this right you are useing two shims…one on top of the other…dosnt sound a good idea to me…Steve…ha ha…Terry…both typing at the same time

1 Like

I read it that Frank is saying that for two valves he had to use shims at the minimum standard size (0.085" - 2.16mm), but hopefully Frank can clarify.

That’s what it looks like to me as well.

If shims used are “A “
it’s time renew valve seats. Probably been recut a few times. Clearances will only get smaller in time and then you can’t easily get the shins off the shelf. Plus it’s bad practice to use under standard minimum thickness shims.

1 Like

One can always trim the length of the valve stem. Doesn’t have to be much to gain some clearance.

Recessing those valves farther and farther into the head also reduces the compression ratio. CC’ing the heads might reveal considerable differences from one cylinder to the next.

Hi terry I have just joined this forum and noticed your XKE S1 front suspension components for sale. I could not work out how to PM you from the ad, could you let me know if they are still for sale please

Thanks

Mark

They are Mark. I’m currently in So Cal until mid March unfortunately Can you wait? Pm me at moledor@telus.net. Terry

What would you call ‘considerable’ Kirby?

Bearing in mind my non-engineer status, I’d say a figure in the low single digit percentages doesn’t qualify, or even close.

VERY little effect on compression…much more effect on flow.

I make it about 0.14 mL for every ten thou DIFFERENCE between chambers. I’d expect all valves seats to deteriorate equally. But if we say about 40 thou total recession for 1.875” inlets. then even if some wore at 0.030 and others at “.020” there’d be about 0.28 mL difference between the largest to the smallest. 0.28 mL variance, in an average chamber volume of 100 mL (less crown) wouldn’t be worth anything IMO?

Shrouding at low opening and closing lifts would be more of an issue, as you say.

Aha David, thank you, yes I made the same mistake and thought that the inlet could be smaller then the exhaust, so the both are the same, did not know this. Thank you, The manual don’t mentioned that at all.
I am still in the spec. 0.30 inlet and 0,35 exhaust.
David do you know how many clearance a new piston can have in the bore, because checking the new/old engine from a xk 150 that I have to restore has 0.30 in the top of the bore and my restored engine was 0.08mm
Thanks in advance.
Frank.

Hee MGCJAG, ofcourse not, two shims are not possible at all, falling from there seats, no just a small one 2.20 and 2.25mm can still be alright for the engine. It’s my own.
Frank.

Frank,

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer t this question.