Changing timing chain tensioner

I need to replace timing chain tensions on my 1995 6.0 V12. Is there an easier way than by dismantling RH tophead? I think maybe. through timing chain cover ?? Can you possibly. View the loss of the oil pump that keeps the tensioners in position at the bottom without destroying anything? Hope there is one who has a good idea …
It would be nice if I could avoid taking the engine out :slight_smile:
Greeting from Denmark!

That tensioner is covered extensively in my book:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/Jaguar.html

No matter what, you will have to remove the A bank cam cover and the timing cover, both of which are serious involvement. Might as well get started. You’ll be able to see for yourself if you can get a new tensioner in from below.

actually taking the engine out might be the best solution and you might even save you some time in the end of the day. And your back and spine might thank you for that :slight_smile: To do it properly at least sandwich plate A bank cam cover and chain cover has to come off. I don’t see how you could reseal everything without taking the sandwich plate… good news is your heads can stay :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s been discussed. Michael Neal reported doing it routinely by just loosening the forward three or four screws on each side and prying the sandwich plate down a bit while sliding the timing cover back in. IIRC, there was some thin SS shim stock involved to protect the old sandwich plate gasket and head gaskets. And of course, copious amounts of sealant.

Redneck engineering :)) I have replaced my chain tensioner and chain while I had my engine out and I really don’t see how it can be properly done. Especially with engine in the car. I think this is one of those shortcuts after which you end up doing the same job all over again.

1 Like