Charcoal canister on 88 XJS

HI
I don’t appear to have a charcoal canister on my 88 convertible xjs and the vent line from the left hand side of the fuel tank which the manual indicates should go to the charcoal canister stops in the wheel arch. I don’t know if a pervious owner removed the canister and the line or if my car is before these items were introduced .Can anyone advise when charcoal canisters were installed as part of the emission control system
Cheers
Robert

You won’t have it - unless your’re having US version. You know, the paradox of emission regulations was born in the V8 homeland…

Back in the 70s.

If your '88 is a USA car, it should have one for sure. By the time the 80s rolled around I suspect the canisters were used in other select markets as well…which could be verified with some research.

Cheers
DD

I removed mine from my 88’ and soon to be removed from my 89’.

Definitely, not in Europe. EU/UK’s 88 XJS haven’t got one - jump and scream and celebrate as you’ll be happy without it.

Thanks for the information gents my car is a UK version which I brought back to Australia in 2009 and I’m now in the process of restoring it
Cheers
Robert

My 82 was first delivered In Wales and then imported to Australia. It has the charcoal canister. I just had to modify the check valve under the front wheel arch to get it to work properly. I think it missed Jaguar’s modification in the mid 80’s.

Hi Trev
Do you know when your car was imported. As I have no canister on my car I was wondering if one was fitted to your car as a part of the compliance requirements to get it registered I’m only guessing just interested to know why your car has one and mine hasn’t and I can’t find any fixing points or brackets for the canister or other related items.
Where are you located in Australia
Cheers
Robert