Charge valve diagnostic help

Hello dear fellows,

Today I’ve tried to diagnose my hydraulics, early type 1989 (SLS removed), and would appreciate yout input.

I have pulsating hoses and the usual engine speed dependent clicking from the overpressure relief valve.
I have exchanged accumulator (it was finished), low pressure warning switch (it started to leak) and charge switch (on speculation).

So, today I took out the multimeter and started to measure.
Pressure warning switch open after 31 seconds of normal idle from unpressurised system, charge switch opens after 1m20s.
I therefore deem these OK.
So, I started suspecting the charge valve, measured up the electrics to it to be sure it had connection, indeed it has.
Took it out to diagnose it separately.

If I apply 12v across it, it sounds and feels dead, no solenoid action going on, it seems.
If I put my ear to it, I can perhaps hear something very faint, but I confuse it with the sound of the minute spark between the cable shoe and the battery I use as power source.
Does this sound like a dead valve to you?
It uses 0.4 amps when powered and has a resistance of 29.9 ohms.

I tried applying compressed air into the side hole and feeling over the wire screen for blowthrough.
Regardless of it being powered or not, the same amount of air gets through.

So, my conclusion is the charge valve is faulty.
Would you agree with this?
(not even whacking it with a brass hammer helped)

I’m a little confused as I would have expected no compressed air blowthrough in my overpressure situation, that an open passage means return to the oil tank, what’s your take on this?

I’d be very grateful for your expertise on this, before shelling out on a, rather expensive, new charge valve.
Thanks lads!

Fredrik …

Just a suggestion, perhaps it’s time to get rid of that entire complicated system and go with a vacuum brake booster like so many of us have. Very simple and reliable.

I’m just not beat yet.

1 Like

I have the 89 XJ6 have the old valve body that was swapped out with a better functioning one. The swapped out one has a solenoid on it and I cant blow through it… there are no numbers on it so I cant tell if it is the CHARGE solenoid. it has a easily audible click… the other one which has a metal protrusion beyond the wires and had number on side of 746 2326 45CX makes no noise though it draws same current as other solenoid… and it may be defective-jammed when I removed it.

May 7 2020

As I recall the longer solenoid on the old one used to make a slight sound, now sitting in a box awaiting my repair attention it is silent with 12v and yes draws normal current same as short solenoids
EBAY Ask if the longer solenoid clicks with 12V and or some info on car 65 is a fair price… otherwise source a new LONG solenoid… as yes any solenoid should make even some sound with 12-15 volts…
Hope it helps
Brad

I have a Jaguar’s service manual for this system, I can send it via email. Too large file to upload to the forum.

Thanks for your advise.
Indeed it is the long valve which is the charge valve.
I wish I’d found that ebay listing earlier, now awating a NOS one at around 250 USD shipped and imported.
I have the manual referenced, it’s the only way to understand the system.
I’ll let you know how I’m progressing, keep your fingers crossed :wink:

In my country new ones are available for about 34 $ :slightly_smiling_face:

Is that site to be trusted?

Why not? Because it’s in Poland?

Of course.
It’s a popular auction site.
tThe same as ebay, only in the Polish edition

I don’t know what stereotypes are.
But Poland is really a normal country, and even more normal than than other countries… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for the info, I’ll check it out from now on.
But why the quick jump to offense?
It’s not easy figuring out the legitimacy of a, to you, unknown site in another language.

it’s true :grinning:

I bought several parts from them.
They are selling inventory, you can negotiate the price.
If you have -> tel. +48 515 955 552, sklep@ipsparts.eu