Chassis numbers located

In recently stripping down my 1940 SS 2 1/2 saloon it revealed the chassis numbers stamped on both the trunnion cover and the chassis.

There are also some different numbers stamped into the very front end face of the chassis on the right hand side. Difficult to determine what these are.
I will try and get a photo of this.
Regards, Jordy.

Jordy,

I knew about the chassis number on the trunnion lid and always thought it was strange to stamp it on a removable part. I hadn’t discovered the stamping on the chassis proper until I saw your photo.

Many thanks,

Peter :smiley:

Greetings All,

Alas…all I have is my axle number,

and a number on my steering box, which was probably done/required by the DMV.

Long time no talk, Peter. MIss the JDC’s Forum.

Yes, you and I were some of the very few participants but now that JagLovers has photo posting it’s a much better forum than the JDC.

Peter

So, you did find the axle number?

I don’t have a trunnion to find a number. Have been over the frame intensely multiple times.

Still hoping I outlast a few people at The Standard Motor Club, so I might have a chance there.

Long before mentioning my car being an SS1, I was told the Archivist could approximately date my car by that axle number, as they did that for other Standard owners. Those owners had used the Archivist for their cars. Once it was know my car was an SS, this Archivist “disavowed” any knowledge of doing this for anyone. Had a rather terse note from a Darrell Cunningham about SS owners buying up ALL their Standard spares, while also driving up the prices, causing their cars to go unrestored. Seem to remember him telling members not to sell anything to myself and other SS owners. He wasn’t a happy camper.

Oddly enough, I’ve never heard of any group mfg/buys of parts for the Ensign Six by Standard owners.

Heck, I even own a head for a Flathead, I’ve yet to purchase.

I’ll look for axle and steering box numbers on stuff I have

Damn, that’s a good looking head.

One of the guys pun the Standard site I converse with wished they did more of that kind of stuff.

He couldn’t believe the head! Yeah the fill quality on the details is gorgeous, among other things.

Bob

I dug out an SS Airline steering box

The number stamped on it was J / 181484 BU stamped not engraved. being an Airline probably dates it to 1934/5/

No luck in finding where we put the SS1 front axle , The one i thought was an SS1 axle was a MK IV / SS Jaguar front axle . Did Gunter source an axle for his SS100?