"Check pedestrian System" 2006 XK

Hi Jaglovers,
Anyone had this come up “Check pedestrian System”, it only comes on intermittently. I understand that there are 2 sensors behind the front bumper that maybe faulty.
How critical is it and is it likely to cause the bonnet to pop up if a sensor fails completely?
I have ordered a scan tool which i believe will identify the actual issue, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how difficult it is to replace the sensors.
I have been looking online for a technical manual for this model, either a hard copy or one i could download as a pdf but haven’t found the right one yet. Does anyone know where i can get one of these manuals?

Appreciate any responses,

kind Regards,
Mal

Try e-manuals on line I just purchased one for my ‘99 XJR don’t download to an iPad !
http://www.emanualonline.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA05zhBRCMARIsACKDWjeLgVNfovw7WL9kBfFjmP3ofs_S5JFkgZD6dKYN5NNM--VL01gD9TAaAnnfEALw_wcB

Thanks Robin appreciate the information, I will check it out.

Hi Mal,

I get the same problem occasionally, it’s becoming more frequent so I’m looking for a permanent fix also. I have a recent Scantool.net ELM327 device, and although I have software which lets it access the auxillary ECUs on my Abarth and Alfa, I don’t know of any software which will let it do the same on the XK (mine only sees the engine and transmission ECUs with the default OBDWiz software).

From what I know (remember) about the system, there are two accelerometers on the bumper beam, a fibre optic crush sensor running along the beam, an ECU located toward the rear of the LH front wheel well and the two airbag modules. I’ve heard some horror stories too - not just from Jag owners, Audi apprently suffer a similar problem with a similar Continental branded system. The only reports I’ve heard of deployments were caused by sudden jolts from pot holes or hitting kerbs, not from faults in the system. The system is required as part of pedestrian safety compliance in some countries; I don’t believe it’s possible to remove the system completely without triggering warning messages, apparently it’s possible to circumvent the actuators with some wiring modifications but this may cause problems if you had an accident, may cancel your insurance etc.

If anyone knows of a software which can read the other ECUs in the system (similar to the FIAT ‘Multi ECU’ software), I’d be keen to know too.

Thanks, Bruce.

Hi,
I’m new to the XK and the forum. But just to share some experience…

I chose my XKR becuase it had 13K miles on it and was immaculate. I effectively bought it unseen and put it straight into storage until I confessed to my wife I had bought it and could arrange to collect it.

A month later I was sat behind the wheel of what can only be described as a stunning set of wheels. A day, and 250 miles, later the check pedestrian system warning came on, then went off, then came on, then went off (you get the picture). After a month or so of intermittent warnings, I trawled the forums and replaced the battery and installed an optimate charger. Current drops were blamed in several places for the warning. It had a very temporary impact, but the warning came back on within a week.

So I took the car to Jaguar and asked for a diagnosis. They plugged the car into the test system and found one of the airbags faulty. Jaguar didn’t charge me for the diagnosis - I was lucky I guess, it took them 10 minutes.

I took the car to the local dealer (not the one I bought it from) and asked them to do the repair work. Because the car was still under the used Jaguar warranty I asked for everything swapping out - 1500 in total, no more errors so far !

There are a couple of sensors in the front, and two airbags, plus the wiring that holds it all together. Vibration, weather and age all play a part in their gradual degradation.

If you hit someone, its bad enough that they will be injured without living with the constant thought that their injuries would be less if you hadn’t disabled the pedestrian protection system for the sake of a grand and a bit…

Reminds me of one of our club members out driving with his wife. Wifey looks at the registration sticker that was lying in the centre console’
“We don’t have an XJS”
Erm yes we do dear