Check rear lights

I haven’t come across a fix for my intermittent problem on my ‘02 XJ. Every so often I get the “check rear lights” message. This happens if the headlights are on or off.

I looked at my cars reflection and the bulb is not lighting if the message is on. No message, the bulb lights up. ???

I have changed bulbs. I have cleaned the contacts. And of course, it doesn’t happen for the shop.

Is there a fix for this?

Cheers

Check the ground connection to that particular light. Also a continuity check from the module to light will show up a degrading cable.

removed. already tried

Unfortunately, this could be a more difficult problem than a simple wiring issue. If ground/continuity is not the problem then it could well be an issue with the SLM (aka SLCM).

This is the security module for the X308, but it also powers the tail lamps via integrated circuit amplifiers on the SLM board. Unfortunately, these are known to go bad, causing intermittent rear light failures until the chip fails completely.

There are three chips, one driving the left side lamp, one for the 3rd brake light in the middle, and one for the right lamp assembly if I recall correctly. If one of these sets of lamps is the one consistently failing, then it could well be a failure of one of the amplifier chips (less likely that 2 or all three are going bad at once.)

A replacement module could be expensive, and needs programming by the dealer if I recall. You might be able to get one from the junkyard. To do so, look for a label in the trunk on the left side floor (near the CD changer if I recall correctly.) This is called the “VCATS” label. There is the vehicle VIN, followed by a list of modules and serial numbers next to them. One of the modules will appear as “SLM.” If the donor car has the same serial number for “SLM.” as yours, then you should be able to use that module.

There’s no guarantee the junk module doesn’t have a burned out amplifier chip as well. But, if you are good with a soldering iron, you can replace the IC amplifier since the chip is a standard one (though one that seemed to become hard to find.)

I was going to attempt this repair once I found a suitable junk module, but my XJR met an untimely demise before this could happen. So I never did it.

Hopefully I recall all the details accurately, but if you want to try this, here’s the link where I got the info from. You can verify/correct any information from there. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/passenger-side-rear-brake-light-not-working-already-replaced-bulb-10830/page5/

Dave

1 Like

Thats fairly accurate except the middle brake light isn’t driven from this module and won’t be your issue.

The FETs failing usually result is one brake lamp being stuck on.

Thanks. Am I looking at the correct part number; lng2600hb?

If that is the one is your car, yes.

Personally I would throw some money at a replacement bulb holder (used) in the hope it fixes the problem. Optimistic. But better than damaging the security module