Checklist to make sure the car runs as cool as possible

I searched every manual I own: nothing on R&R of 4.0 aux fan.

WES

I discombobulated the shroud and was able to remove the fan.
Fan is attached with an e-clip, this might have helped, but getting the fan removed from the shaft would probably have been a major task.
Motor is, as expected, a pusher. 3" diameter 3" deep. Hard to measure overall shaft length.
Shroud would handle a 10" fan.

af2 af3

Here’s few pictures of the same fan mounted in v12 shroud. Didn’t know that 4.0 has a different setup

I wish… that would be a lot easier to handle. Different arrangement, motor size and such.

would be fairly easy to pop the shroud together, then mount an upgrade fan such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3TK3EW/ref=twister_B07P6YJFWW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 to the shroud with wire ties.
Finding that seized fan was actually good news and explains my heat situation perfectly.
The fan that was installed was never intended to be replaced other than “as a unit”. The design of the shaft, although it had an e-clip on it does not allow the fan to be removed.

I think it may have been Paul, but some has a post about wiring the aux fan to be controlled by a switch. Or Paul’s may have been to cause it to illuminate the trailer light so he would know it had come on.

Jim,
I was the one who repurposed the green “Caravan” advisory light on the dash of my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible to illuminate whenever the auxiliary cooling fan was powered up. I did this after the car experienced a few random cooling fan issues and I lost confidence that it was coming on when it should. I find it comforting to see the green light go on and off all the time while driving indicating that the fan is doing just fine. Of course definitive proof that the fan is working is hearing it running after engine shutdown on a hot day. But this is one of the modifications to this car that I made that I am particularly pleased with.

I posted pictures and a write up years ago so they remain in the archives for anyone interested in learning more.

Paul

1 Like

Thx Paul. Thought it was you.

Someone else , or several others, have tried into a switch.

I like the reuse of a dash light to show the fan state. When I swapped my main fan for electric I put in two temperature sensors, one in each top hose, with an OR logic relay. I also wired up 4 status lights, one for the temperature sensors, one for power to the main fan, another two for the temperature sensor and power to the aux fan. This will tell me when the temperature is hot at the top or bottom of the engine, and confirm that the fans are actually running. So I will know if a fuse or relay has blown. I didn’t try to route the status lights into the cabin - I mounted them outside, in the grill by the wipers, where I could see them through the windscreen.

1 Like

Here is a picture of the green “Caravan” advisory light, circled in red, in my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible that is illuminated while driving. That light comes on when the coolant temperature is at the top of the N and goes off right as the needle comes down a small amount into the N. After experiencing a few instances when the fan did not come on when it should have, and the coolant temperature rose well above the N, I find it comforting to see the green light go on and off regularly while driving.

Paul

1 Like

I’ve just checked my XJR-S specific owners manual and it shows 5 unused warning lights at positions 1, 3, 17, 18, 19. I would guess at front fog lights, and caravan for two of them as they are not options on the XJR-S. Not sure what the others would have been.

Working on install of aftermarket 10" fan. Re-using shroud. Waiting on delivery of new grommets as the old ones were pretty ratty. The aftermarket fan mounts inside the old shroud, and slips into the gap in front of the A/C -Radiator grid from the top. I had to move the A/C accumulator mount over to allow the new fan to be placed. The plastic shroud of the new fan will be secured to the old aluminum shroud by stainless ties. Pictures once finished. I tested the new fan and it move quite a lot of air. Should work fine.

WES

I just installed a SPAL 10” straight blade fan in my ‘88 XJ-S; slight trimming allowed it to fit within the OE auxiliary shroud. I slid 10-24 nuts into the bracket slots, drilled 4 holes in the shroud- simple install. Rated at 802 CFM, easily blows twice as much air as the wimpy 4 blade original. Also much improved access in that area because fan is very slim. Reasonably quiet.

Robert,
I think you have more room on an 88. On mine, a 95 4.0, its like the car was built around the fan. Yours sounds like an excellent solution.

WES

Wow Paul, motoring along at 40MPH, 2kRPM, No gas warning, a bulb out, caravan on, and taking a picture.

“Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all.”

-Helen Keller

Wes,
I don’t understand your post. What does “No gas warning a bulb out” mean?

The gas tank was almost full and there shouldn’t have been any other bulbs illuminated. Please explain.

Paul

I was making observations about the image Paul posted, noting the indicated speed, revs, the low fuel light is on, the bulb out warning light is being on; all while he is taking a picture.
I see the orange gas pump, the orange lightbulb with X – at least they look lit in the picture.

Wes,
No, you are wrong. Maybe it was the lighting that made it look like those lights were illuminated in my picture when they were not? From the image you should see that the fuel tank is almost full and so the low fuel light should not be on, and it was not on.

The bulb out warning systems operate properly in all my Jaguars by illuminating and the extinguishing shortly afterwards so that light was also not on.

I took the picture on a quiet straight stretch of road near my house to document the illumination of the “Caravan” light when the Auxiliary Cooling Fan was on as a result of the modification that I made to my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible.

Paul

Fan installed. Blows air through flaps nicely. I think the flaps are a bit stiff, though. One suggestion for replacement was baffle material from some aircraft supply house. Unfortunately, the material available is shy in width to create replacement flaps. Comes on roll 3", 3 1/2" wide. The flaps on my car are 4"
Scouring the new now for material.