Child door locks on a MK2 - wiring and switch

A MK2 rest. is being farmed out and i’m sorting out someone else’s wiring. I’ve done other MK2’s and own one, but have not come across the child safety locks in the doors. My parts books and manuals are of no help and the new wire loom has nothing.
First - The lock solenoid activates with 12 volts and is grounded by the car body, simple. Should I activate them off a switch (there is a spare hole in the dash as the dash is from an auto car with hill hold switch, and this car is 4spOD)?
Second - If a dash switch - should I wire it green so it’s on only with the key, or wire it purple so it can be turned on anytime. If no switch at all, I can wire to the green key circuit so it comes on and off with the key.

Funny thing is - both rear doors AND front pass. door have them. I thought they were only for the rear doors. I’ve heard of these once before and were disabled by the owner.

Phil.

Here is a diagram from the S Type:

Are your child locks simillar to that?

Any solenoids I’ve worked with were mechanically latching, so you only need a momentary contact to operate them. (But I’ve only fitted a few, and that was about 30 years ago)

Thanks, Andrew,

These are not mechanical at all. The solenoid activates a good size pin into a receiving plate on the door and is a completely separate electrical unit with nothing to do with the door handle locks. I think if I explain to the owner, the consequences of one or all of these 50+ year old electro-magnets failing, I think i’ll end up installing them to fill up the giant hole in the pillars, but not working. But now I understand it could be worse. I could be working on a 3.8S.
Phil.