Choke knob hits rubber boot above it

The choke knob in my car hits the rubber boot on the illuminated label above it when I pull it out. If I gently press the knob down while pulling it in or out, it just barely clears the rubber boot. Is there any adjustment on the choke knob assembly? Looking at the diagrams, I don’t believe there is.

You can see in the photo that with the choke in, it’s very close to the boot.

Other than that, the choke seems to operate normally. It will stay put on any of the detents.

Dave

If it bugs you, you can probably do some light filing and refinishing on the interfering parts or on the mounting holes so they can be moved apart slightly.

You might find the mount is just loose needs to be tightened Or adjusted. Does it have a pinch bolt at the other end of the cable that can adjust the travel ?

Jim

Dave,
I looked at the picture in your post and I suspect that the light above your choke and the rubber book around it are not original and that is why you are having problems.

Attached is a picture of the choke area of the dash in my 1969 E-Type FHC as a reference to what I believe is the original configuration in my car.

Paul

That label changed in late Series 2s and became illuminated and ‘landscape format’.

That said, on my 1971 the label/light fixture was there but not the rubber ‘boot’. Maybe they had the problem you described and eliminated the big boot?

BTW - very easy to replace the knob and the repro I got (pictured) was excellent.

2 Likes

The illuminated indicators originally came with stamped metal frames. Jaguar switched to the rubber frames for the SIII and substituted these for all replacements. The metal frames were fragile and usually broke up when they had to be removed to replace the label which was prone to frying. More typically the indicator had to be replaced because the bulb fried the tube. New ones had a rubber frame. From what I can tell there are very few metal framed indicators still around.

Thanks for all the responses. I’m planning on replacing the knob or refinishing it. Maybe I can file it a bit or rivet it back slightly angled if I make a new bracket for it. I don’t feel any play in the mechanism. I haven’t taken anything apart to take a look it however.

Geo,
Thank you for the info on the later choke label design and the picture. I learn things all the time on this list. I had no idea that they were different

Paul

For what it’s worth I have exactly the same problem. When pulling out the choke, the top of the “knob” hits the bottom of the rubber surround. My surround was missing and I suspect it was originally a thin brass frame painted black. The repro I am using is made from rubber and may be thicker. Here is a possible fix. Add a couple of small washers under the knob to move it farther from the lever. You can say you heard it here first…

That’s sounds like the trick Bill.
Thanks
Dave